Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 PM
SOA

Got my sub back in action!

So now I know when my subwoofer died. That ringing around 20Hz is back, and no amount of bass trapping is making it go away. So it's not that the bass trap was working so effectively. No, it just so happened that the moment I placed my first bass trap was exactly the same time the sub stopped working.

I'm still glad to have the sub back. It definitely rounds out the sound. And I'm also happy to have the bass traps. They're doing nothing to help with the ringing at 20Hz, but I'm not sure I care. The resonances at higher bass frequencies are definitely subdued. And I can't hear frequencies that low, anyway. I do wonder if that ringing is messing with my sound in other ways, though.

I'm trying to figure out what to save up for next. I don't think I'll get much incremental value out of additional acoustic treatments, and my wife would have to shoot me if I buy more. So maybe a second sub? I read an article by Floyd Toole showing that there is significant value in adding a second sub (especially in terms of flattening bass response across a broad area), and a lot less in going beyond 2 subs.

If I get a second sub, should I get one just like I have? Or should I try to save up for a monster like some of you guys have?