Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Default What Cell Phone Should I Get?

Going to stick with Android. I'm thinking either the Galaxy S8 or wait for the Pixel 2. But open to other options.

I heard buying the 'unlocked' version is better so like buying the pixel2 direcrtly from google then inserting my Verizon sim card? Not sure why it's better though, can anyone elaborate? And can you get the S8 unlocked by buying it direct from Samsung and not through Verizon?

I know someone with my username should know the answers to this kind of stuff.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Unlocked phones are yours, and you have the freedom to change plans as you feel free. Locked phones are trying to keep you locked into the service providers network. This is a big benefit to the service provider, but it doesn't really provide you with any value.

Just look for "unlocked" phone, you can buy direct - but other places do sell unlocked phones.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Verizon phones are typically more valuable for resale purposes and are also unlocked by default due to an agreement with the FCC.

My top pick would be a Pixel XL (wait for the new one, if you can). If you want a "value" choice, OnePlus 5 is nice. I'd avoid Samsung due to bloatware.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Also, check out Swappa.com for used and even new in the box phones as well as selling your old one.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:25 AM

the new Pixel supposedly isn't going to have a headphone jack, if you like that sort of thing
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM

I have the S8 and overall I like it. But the curved screen has created some weird issues... you have to be careful holding it because it will think you're trying to tap things, and menus towards the edge of the screen can be hard to tap because if you don't hit it just right it will think you're trying to scroll down or something. Like many phones, a lot of the neat features (such as the always on display) have to be disabled because they're battery drains.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Iíve had the S8 for a week and kind of regret purchasing it. The phone is the most fragile piece of technology Iíve ever owned. It will break if you look at it the wrong way. Itís already got a minor crack on the back, even though Iíve never dropped it. I have no idea how the crack appeared. Midway through a day at work, I looked at the back, and it had two hairline fractures going from one side of the phone to the other. My best guess is that I laid it down too hard on my desk at work, but I honestly canít imagine how it could have cracked. Unlike every other phone ever, the back is made of this really weak glass. Why glass? Iím guessing itís intentionally fragile to get you to buy new phones more often. The glass also makes the phone super slippery to hold. I havenít dropped it yet, but itís an accident waiting to happen.

Additionally, I like to go running with my phone. The phone doesnít have a physical home button anymore, so itís got a virtual button on the screen where the home button used to be. Tapping that spot will turn on the screen. I probably tap that thing by accident 4 or 5 times per run just based on how I hold my phone. Itís not a necessary feature because the power button does the same thing, so I figure, okay, Iíll just disable the feature and be on my way. Nope: you canít do that. I spent 15 minutes navigating the settings screens looking for a way to disable it before eventually Googling it, and sure enough, there are tons of annoyed S8 owners unsuccessfully looking for the same option.

The phone has a dedicated ĎBixbyí button on the side. Theoretically, itís Samsungís answer to Siri, but itís pretty terrible. It never really works right, so the novelty wore off after a few hours. That said, because thereís a dedicated button for it, Iím constantly hitting that by accident too, though itís a little easier to avoid than the home Ďbuttoní on the screen itself. It actually wouldnít be a bad idea if it worked (e.g., on a run, being able to say ďskip this songĒ would be pretty nice without having to look at the phoneís screen), but itís so bad at voice recognition that it doesnít really work that way. Maybe I just need to use it more to figure out the quirks. Iím not writing this feature off entirely yet, but I wouldnít miss it if it were gone.

The edge screen is a pointless gimmick. I suppose it makes the screen a tiny bit bigger, but I donít really need that, I just want something that wonít break. The bezel on older phones helped in case of accidental drops. The edge screen seems like a crack waiting to happen in the case of an accidental drop. Iíve never used a case for an Android phone before, but I finally bought one for this phone because itís otherwise too fragile to make it through August unscathed. Iím guessing repairs will be more expensive for the edge screen too.

Itís not all bad. It generally does the exact same things my S4 did, but maybe a tiny bit faster (the S4 would have difficulty scrolling through Spotify playlists because all the album art caused the phone to stutter). Battery life, for now at least, is amazing. I can run it all day without charging and only be down to 70% or so, and when I finally charge it, itís back up to 100% in less than an hour thanks to the fast charging USB C connection. None of my older charge cables work anymore, but itís enough of an upgrade that Iím glad to replace the old system. Itís also impossible to insert the cable upside down now, which is great. The new USB standard should be faster for data transfer too.

Supposedly, itís waterproof / water resistant for up to 30 minutes in water up to 5 feet deep. I havenít really tested that, but assuming itís true, thatís my favorite feature of the phone. My last phone (an S4) finally died after I got caught in a big thunderstorm on my bike, and Iím outside enough that this is a pretty common situation. Water resistance is huge.

Also, I like that it still has a traditional headphone jack. Not having that option is a complete deal breaker. I have precisely zero interest in Bluetooth headphones that sell for ten times the price for a tenth of the reliability and a tenth of the convenience.

The camera is great, but I feel like cameras for phones have been great for years now (my S4 was fine), so this isnít really a major selling point anymore.

Storage space is great. Itís also expandable to an SD card, which I havenít used yet, but Iím sure Iíll eventually add one. Like all phones, it has plenty of bloatware, but itís easy enough to ignore with pretty generous storage space, and most of the dumb apps can be deleted (on my old phone, things like Twitter were flagged as system apps that could not be deleted).

Also, I got a major discount buying it through Best Buy rather than Verizon. It was $400 cheaper, but as near as I can tell, the exact same product. No clue why. Contracts are gone now, so youíre expected to pay the full price of the phone in 24 month installment payments. In the past, Iíd get subsidized phones for $10, but thatís not a thing anymore (and unfortunately, the cost for service isnít any cheaper now that theyíre removing the subsidized phone).

Tl;dr: Decent phone, but too fragile for daily life.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Are you only seeing those cracks on the back? I don't like cases (why spend $$$ to get a phone that's been engineered to be slim if you're just going to throw it in a case?), but I like dbrand skins. It adds no girth and keeps fingerprints off the back. Mine came a week after I got the phone, but I did notice the back was already getting scratched pretty good.

And bixby is kind of annoying. I have an app that lets you remap the button, so I make it open Google Assistant. You could probably make it map to your launcher and effectively disable the button. Samsung keeps trying to break apps that do remap the button, but it's working right now.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
CAS

do samsung phones provide a sRGB screen option or something along those lines? aside from the cost, the sammy super saturated screens are my biggest complaint with the phone.

i've been using oneplus since they came out and have been generally satisfied, a good balance of cost and features
Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

The S7 works flawlessly for me and I'm pretty sensitive to phone slowness, etc.

Please forgive unintended sarcasm