Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Did you get the tempered glass ones? Basically, it is a crapshoot on Amazon to get a good tempered glass protector. Most of them are random Chinese ones people buy in bulk and package and sell, so there is very little quality control.

Look here and cross your fingers:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tempered+glass
Yes. Tempered glass and 4.5 star review with a lot of reviews. To be specific: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Thi...2%3A2661618011
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Definitely yes and definitely yes.

The screen on the S7 Edge is very fragile so you will want all the protection you can get. Your son and his friends apparently don't pay for their own screen replacement costs.

The tempered glass protectors are a piece of hardened (tempered) glass with a silicon backing that: #1 provides the adhesion to the phone and #2 gives some rubbery shock absorption against impacts.

As I've mentioned elsewhere (and maybe in this thread) I have a phone repair shop and I see about half as many damaged screens among tempered glass users as those who have naked screens. They aren't a panacea as they don't help with corner drops, but my brother in law sends me a picture about every 6 months of the latest tempered glass he pulled off his iPhone. So far 3 years, no actual screen damage in spite of multiple destroyed tempered glass protectors.
Thanks.

Yeah, he broke two s7 edge screens and we used the insurance to get new ones. He did the first one right after he got the phone (no case, no screen protector, fell out of his pocket playing basketball in the driveway! ). The second time was last week, this time with a case but no screen protector and it only fell like a foot onto the ground (concrete though). So he decided he would upgrade but i decided to again pay the insurance deductible and keep the replacement phone for myself. So I got a new one for $150.

Anywhoo, thanks for the tips. Will get a screen protector.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Non-Actuary

I've been hearing some discussion from tech types that the essential phone might be a better option than the Pixel... https://www.essential.com/?gclid=Cjw...QAvD_BwE#order
Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
I've been hearing some discussion from tech types that the essential phone might be a better option than the Pixel... https://www.essential.com/?gclid=Cjw...QAvD_BwE#order
Maybe better than the Pixel 1 which had subpar hardware (stellar software) but I'd wait till November to see what the Pixel 2 brings.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:14 PM

I bought a tempered glass screen protector from amazon. It cracked when i put the case back on. It had very good reviews which is the reason i bought it. But I didn't notice that none of them were verified purchasers so basically it was bullshit. There was one verified purchaser who had the same thing happen as I did. Now there are two verified purchaser reviews.

I'm returning it.

I bought a 'wet application' screen protector that should arrive today. Less protection than the tempered glass but I couldn't find a tempered glass one that looked legit.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe better than the Pixel 1 which had subpar hardware (stellar software) but I'd wait till November to see what the Pixel 2 brings.
Was planning to get the pixel 2 in November and hand off the 7 edge to my 15 year old who is still on the 5S.

Who makes this essential thing? Never heard of it.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Phone Junkie View Post
I bought a tempered glass screen protector from amazon. It cracked when i put the case back on. It had very good reviews which is the reason i bought it. But I didn't notice that none of them were verified purchasers so basically it was bullshit. There was one verified purchaser who had the same thing happen as I did. Now there are two verified purchaser reviews.

I'm returning it.

I bought a 'wet application' screen protector that should arrive today. Less protection than the tempered glass but I couldn't find a tempered glass one that looked legit.
Yep, that's the route I took. I am much happier with the wet application protector. This is the first time that I've found the Amazon reviews to be this misleading.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-28-2017, 02:07 PM
SOA

Rumor mill points to the Pixel 2 coming out on October 5. Which so happens to be my birthday. If the rest of the rumors are correct, should be a happy one
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
Yep, that's the route I took. I am much happier with the wet application protector. This is the first time that I've found the Amazon reviews to be this misleading.
Yeah me too. I feel kinda dumb. I thought all reviews were from people who had purchased the item. I just thought that's how amazon works. They sell so much shit why would they allow random obviously BS reviews? Live and learn.

I finally installed the wet application protector last night. Easy to install but there are still a couple tiny bubbles so that was a bit disappointing but I'm not going to bother redoing it (bought a 2-pack).
Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Anyone can review anything on Amazon. They do a decent job - usually - of policing astroturfing reviews.

There are some problems, however, Amazon has a individual listings by SKU, so if you just buy a bunch of SKUs, you can list all your garbage however you want. Also, once you start a new SKU, others can list on there so you may not even be the vendor for the listing you created. As a result, some people sell garbage on a well-reviewed item. It is just a crapshoot and there isn't much to be done about it.

If you want a bit more reliability, eBay creates listings on a per-vendor/per-item basis, so at least you know you are getting something from the person selling it.