Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Phone Junkie View Post
I finally installed the wet application protector last night. Easy to install but there are still a couple tiny bubbles so that was a bit disappointing but I'm not going to bother redoing it (bought a 2-pack).
I've been using wet application plastic screen protectors for years, and like them. There's a good chance your tiny bubbles will go away in a couple of days, as the inside of the protector dries out.

Speaking of which, I've had this phone for nearly two years, and the protector is bringing to peel a little around the edges. Maybe I should get a new one.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 AM
CAS

What's a good not-too-large, easy to hold, lots of memory, good battery, not too much bloatware phone these days?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:38 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
What's a good not-too-large, easy to hold, lots of memory, good battery, not too much bloatware phone these days?
Pixel. Moto G5 Plus for something easier on the budget. The new Moto X4 looks good too but isn't released yet.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 PM

i have the S8. previously had the S6 which finally died from too much pokemongo playing in the rain. I like the fact that this phone will hopefully be more water resistant as not to die that way. Also like that the battery life is MUCH MUCH better than the S6 was.

i don't use most of the features beyond that and don't really know what most of the features even are, but like the phone for the above reasons. the display with the curved screen is also pretty.
Spoiler:
Old 11-24-2017, 11:17 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Just ordered the pixel 2 XL with 128 MB imo. Currently using the s7 edge. Im a little worried the battery life will disappoint.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Just ordered the pixel 2 XL with 128 MB imo. Currently using the s7 edge. Im a little worried the battery life will disappoint.
Please update us once you get it. I need to get a new phone for multiple reasons between now and Christmas and am being horribly indecisive.

In response to an earlier question, the Essential phone is being made by a new company, I think with the same name. It sounds like in the US it is only available from Sprint and the manufacturer/designer and it ended up being a bust due to delayed delivery/late release.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
CAS

FA, consider the OnePlus 5T and save $400
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
Please update us once you get it.
I have Pixel XL 2, upgraded from a Nexus 6p. My 6p battery went bad (like shutting down at 80% power because of the battery was drained - after being on for 2 hours on mostly standby).

The battery life is off the chart. For example, my phone has been off the charger for 3 hours and I've had the screen on for an 1 hour of that time. My remaining battery life is 25+ hours based on my usage.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
In response to an earlier question, the Essential phone is being made by a new company, I think with the same name.
The Essential phone is out. It is a really good phone with one major problem - it's camera software isn't up to par. If photos aren't important - than it is definitely worth considering. It is a smaller phone than the Pixel 2 XL (which is about the same size as the Samsung Note). Sprint stores have them, so you can handle them. They do have a nice hand feel.

I definitely considered picking one up, but the bad camera software kept me away.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
It won't
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.