Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-27-2017, 01:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I have Pixel XL 2, upgraded from a Nexus 6p. My 6p battery went bad (like shutting down at 80% power because of the battery was drained - after being on for 2 hours on mostly standby).

The battery life is off the chart. For example, my phone has been off the charger for 3 hours and I've had the screen on for an 1 hour of that time. My remaining battery life is 25+ hours based on my usage.
Hmm, any reports on the Pixel 2? The XL is too large for me.

I had my eye on the Moto X4, but it's back is glass, and I hated that on a Sony I had. It was hard to prop up to play games, and just hard to hold. I like a drippy phone. Also, reports on the battery are mixed.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Hmm, any reports on the Pixel 2? The XL is too large for me.
I don't have one so I don't know personally it is. It seems like it is getting good battery life as well.

The shiny part in the pack of the phone is glass - so the phones have a partial glass back.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 PM
CAS AAA

https://www.slashgear.com/essential-...sale-27509206/

The essential phone has a really nice discount on Amazon....
Old 11-27-2017, 03:46 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
The battery life is off the chart. For example, my phone has been off the charger for 3 hours and I've had the screen on for an 1 hour of that time. My remaining battery life is 25+ hours based on my usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
It won't
Sweet. Picked it up from the store today. I haven't switched over to using it yet though. I did take it out of the box and look at it. It's a different charging port than my samsungs and previous phones which means I only have one charger, the one it came with. Kind of annoying.

I bought a screen protector and case online which arrived yesterday. I have some stupid work thing tonight and I'll probably be too tired to deal with it until tomorrow. Does that transfer thingy do the apps or just messages and pictures?

Are those external charging sticks like this thing ok to use? Or do they cause some kind of batter damage?
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM
SOA

Right, I bought 6 new wires to replace all the ones that I use regularly. Pretty annoying expense. I did have a couple already because of the Nintendo Switch using the same type.

Shouldn't be any issue with that type of portable batteries.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Are those external charging sticks like this thing ok to use? Or do they cause some kind of batter damage?
External charging sticks I think are fine.
You need to be careful with buying USB 3.0 wires, because bad wires can damage the phone. I've been buying them from Google. Nintendo's are probably fine as well.

https://gizmodo.com/a-google-enginee...abl-1742719818
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 PM
CAS

But you don't need new chargers, just new wires.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
But you don't need new chargers, just new wires.
You're saying the little part that plugs into the wall is the 'charger' and I can use my samsung ones if I get new wires that will fit?? But I have to get the right wires because the wires will damage the phone if they are cheapo? That's fascinating. I would have assumed the wires are much less important than the 'charger.'

What about a car charger?
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 11-27-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
You're saying the little part that plugs into the wall is the 'charger' and I can use my samsung ones if I get new wires that will fit?? But I have to get the right wires because the wires will damage the phone if they are cheapo? That's fascinating. I would have assumed the wires are much less important than the 'charger.'
tl;dr version: there is a component in 3.0 wires that if excluded will fry your phone. Some companies decided not to include it.

The thing that plugs into the wall I believe have become standardized, so that is interchangeable.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:55 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
External charging sticks I think are fine.
You need to be careful with buying USB 3.0 wires, because bad wires can damage the phone. I've been buying them from Google. Nintendo's are probably fine as well.

https://gizmodo.com/a-google-enginee...abl-1742719818
I just ordered two of these because it was on your boy's list.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0197WDHF6...d=KF89JCHI0KT4

Taking your guys word for it that my samsung 'chargers' won't jack things up.