Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 11-27-2017, 04:56 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Oh, and thanks!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
tl;dr version: there is a component in 3.0 wires that if excluded will fry your phone. Some companies decided not to include it.

The thing that plugs into the wall I believe have become standardized, so that is interchangeable.
There are a couple of different standards, or at least, there's "regular" chargers and several grades of "quick chargers". But yes, I think they've all been standardized, and can be used interchangably. We charge 2 phones and several other gadgets with the same chargers, and just swap out cords to accommodate USB1, USB2, and USBC.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

For those cheap, like me, Best Buy has the Moto G5 Plus on sale right now. $200 for the 32GB, $225 for 64GB. Regular $230 and $300.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
You're saying the little part that plugs into the wall is the 'charger' and I can use my samsung ones if I get new wires that will fit?? But I have to get the right wires because the wires will damage the phone if they are cheapo? That's fascinating. I would have assumed the wires are much less important than the 'charger.'
According to this article from last year, Amazon banned the dangerous USB-C cables. However I still wouldn't trust that the ban is reliably applied to cables sold through Amazon by third-party sellers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...s-usb-c-cables
Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
FA, consider the OnePlus 5T and save $400
I ditched the U.S. and moved back to Canada so I suspect that the deal may not be available here.

I have a friend who I think has a OnePlus and she's been raving about it. I'm also thinking about the LG V30(?). Anyone have any experience with them?

The camera's apparently pretty average, but I use a dslr for the vast majority of my pictures...
Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I have Pixel XL 2, upgraded from a Nexus 6p. My 6p battery went bad (like shutting down at 80% power because of the battery was drained - after being on for 2 hours on mostly standby).

The battery life is off the chart. For example, my phone has been off the charger for 3 hours and I've had the screen on for an 1 hour of that time. My remaining battery life is 25+ hours based on my usage.
I took a look at it yesterday. It looks decent, but I'm not in love with it. I like the idea of rapid updates, I'm less of a fan of the no(?) expandable memory.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
The Essential phone is out. It is a really good phone with one major problem - it's camera software isn't up to par. If photos aren't important - than it is definitely worth considering. It is a smaller phone than the Pixel 2 XL (which is about the same size as the Samsung Note). Sprint stores have them, so you can handle them. They do have a nice hand feel.

I definitely considered picking one up, but the bad camera software kept me away.
I also looked at this one yesterday. Appearance wise, it was good until I saw the back of the phone and how much of a fingerprint magnet the back is. It's still on the list, but I need to think about it a bit more.

At the moment, I think I'm between...

LG V30 (or similar)
Pixel 2xl
Essential phone
Samsung Galaxy S7
or
iPhone X.

I'm probably leaning towards the LG V30 as the reviews seem to indicate it's a really good phone with a so-so camera. I like the appearance and the cost would be ok.

Pixel 2xl - I like the quick updates, I'm so-so on the screen and the general design, I dislike the no expandable memory. ETA: Also a bit so-so on the screen

Essential phone looks nice, I don't like the fingerprint magnet aspects. Camera could be an issue as could the longerterm stability of the company (e.g. I'd like to use the phone for about 3-4 years and I'm a bit doubtful they'd be around in that much time).

The Samsung Galaxy S7 is my punting option. I like the design much better than the S8 or Note 8, but disappointed to be buying a 2 year-old phone by the time I actually make a decision.

iPhone X is really nice looking, but stupidly expensive, restricted memory, long lead time on the shipping, and the operating system is a bit frustrating (e.g. too many things aren't allowed in landscape view and my hands end up getting cramped from holding it in portrait view).

ETA: Anyone have any experience with the HTC u11 (or related)?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, still looking...

Last edited by Fish Actuary; 11-28-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM
CAS

why is expandable memory so important? don't people store photos in cloud and stream music? what's taking up so much space on board?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
why is expandable memory so important? don't people store photos in cloud and stream music? what's taking up so much space on board?
I don't always have access to the internet. For instance, there's an area on my daily commute where there is no service. This isn't just my carrier, either, for some reason it's a dead spot. I also regularly travel to places where I don't have internet.

So I haven't embraced the cloud.

I have a lot of photos, but only because I'm lazy. I could download them all to my laptop (or the cloud) and only carry around the ones I might want to show someone.

I have a lot of music. I don't want to have to chose in advance which music to keep with me. Well, actually, I need to do that, but I want a large choice with me.

I also like the freedom to be lazy about photos. But this reminds me that I ought to clean up the photos sometimes soon. I do like to put the ones I might want to share into manageable albums on the phone.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM
CAS

Thinking I should get the project fi Moto X and just stick plastic onto the back so I can hold it. But my only complaint about my current phone is that the battery is old (and it's a weird enough phone that I can't find a third-party battery, and the manufacturer won't replace it) so I also set up a swappa alert. I may just buy a newer version of the same thing.