Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 AM

For people that are hesitant to get a phone they otherwise like because of finger prints or slippery surfaces, check out Dbrand skins. They don't give your phone any protection other than from scratches, but they do give it a different texture/look. They look great and are a relatively cheap solution for those problems. I use the carbon fiber skin on my S8.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:53 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I don't always have access to the internet. For instance, there's an area on my daily commute where there is no service. This isn't just my carrier, either, for some reason it's a dead spot. I also regularly travel to places where I don't have internet.

So I haven't embraced the cloud.

I have a lot of photos, but only because I'm lazy. I could download them all to my laptop (or the cloud) and only carry around the ones I might want to show someone.

I have a lot of music. I don't want to have to chose in advance which music to keep with me. Well, actually, I need to do that, but I want a large choice with me.

I also like the freedom to be lazy about photos. But this reminds me that I ought to clean up the photos sometimes soon. I do like to put the ones I might want to share into manageable albums on the phone.
okay, but lots of phones come with 64g and up.

10,000+ 6mb songs or 21,000+ 3 mb photos will fit on 64 gb. granted, not all 64 gb are available for storage, just using these numbers for scale.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
why is expandable memory so important? don't people store photos in cloud and stream music? what's taking up so much space on board?
Streaming music/video doesn’t work well when work doesn’t provide WiFi, data costs are relatively speaking high, and spending weeks to a month at sea is plausible, and travel includes areas with limited cell service.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
okay, but lots of phones come with 64g and up.

10,000+ 6mb songs or 21,000+ 3 mb photos will fit on 64 gb. granted, not all 64 gb are available for storage, just using these numbers for scale.
While admittedly, I need to clean things up, I have about 60 to 90 gb of music and old podcasts.

Add to that current podcasts, apps, pictures and some vids and lax file housekeeping behaviors and space becomes limited surprisingly quickly.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:22 AM
CAS

I have about 50GB of user content on my phone. Yeah, a high end phone with 64GB would probably be okay, but this way, I find need to worry about it.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:26 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
Streaming music/video doesn’t work well when work doesn’t provide WiFi, data costs are relatively speaking high, and spending weeks to a month at sea is plausible, and travel includes areas with limited cell service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
While admittedly, I need to clean things up, I have about 60 to 90 gb of music and old podcasts.

Add to that current podcasts, apps, pictures and some vids and lax file housekeeping behaviors and space becomes limited surprisingly quickly.
okay, that's legit

for me most of the above is edge case stuff for which i'd have a separate solution and prioritize other phone features, but i guess expandable IS that separate solution

i get 8g data with my cricket plan and have never spent a month at sea. i've traveled to limited cell service areas, but not streaming music was never a concern at the time.

well, happy phone searching! lots of good options out there to fit the needs.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
SOA

I keep about 10 gigs of music on my phone which seems like plenty especially when combined with Spotify. I try to remove stuff I get tired of a replace it regularly.

Photos and video are always the problem
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I keep about 10 gigs of music on my phone which seems like plenty especially when combined with Spotify. I try to remove stuff I get tired of a replace it regularly.

Photos and video are always the problem
you're an android guy, right? don't you just let google photos manage that for you? automatic cloud storage and all that?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
you're an android guy, right? don't you just let google photos manage that for you? automatic cloud storage and all that?
It automatically backs up there and I pay the $2/month so I have plenty of space but I have to manually delete photos to clear space on the phone itself. Or at least I did in the past. I guess the Pixel is supposed to do that automatically now but I haven't had the phone long enough to see how that goes.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 PM
CAS

i guess i'm just an old coot who doesn't use his phone enough for stuff and things