Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-04-2017, 02:10 PM
CAS

Default Seeking code review in R (Q of anonymity)

Hi. I am fairly new to the outpost and just learning my way around here. I had posted under P&C a request for code review. One person agreed but was unable to place a blocked ID phone call to me, no reason given. I am not sure I understand all of the reasons for anonymity on the outpost, but I have seen there are job postings here, so I understand that much. Since my name is posted, I thought that if anyone would agree to review the code, perhaps you could look me up in the directory and contact me by email without revealing your outpost identity? This review should be fine for credit, if anyone is seeking CE credit, so I would think it could be viewed sporadically at work. If that approach won't work I would not mind discussion as to why it won't. I did receive a suggestion to include more than one set of code, given that the R base code can be easier to understand and modify; and a second set given that some packages run faster. The code is for accessing daily weather data files and the example in the paper is the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:59 PM
CAS

If you share your code it'd encourage people to look at it and even contribute fixes/enhancements if they're feeling generous. Here's a good source for how you could do that properly: http://happygitwithr.com/
Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenAnderson View Post
Hi. I am fairly new to the outpost and just learning my way around here. I had posted under P&C a request for code review. One person agreed but was unable to place a blocked ID phone call to me, no reason given. I am not sure I understand all of the reasons for anonymity on the outpost, but I have seen there are job postings here, so I understand that much. Since my name is posted, I thought that if anyone would agree to review the code, perhaps you could look me up in the directory and contact me by email without revealing your outpost identity? This review should be fine for credit, if anyone is seeking CE credit, so I would think it could be viewed sporadically at work. If that approach won't work I would not mind discussion as to why it won't. I did receive a suggestion to include more than one set of code, given that the R base code can be easier to understand and modify; and a second set given that some packages run faster. The code is for accessing daily weather data files and the example in the paper is the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon.
Iím not an Actuary, but I do use R a fair amount (e.g. pretty much daily). If I can help, I guess just PM me. Iíve got experience doing scientific peer review and have developed an R package that went through peer review.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Isn't it the custom to pay peer reviewers? Just askin'

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 PM
CAS

Oh, that is a fair point. I did not know about paid peer review, really. I thought that the review was something that actuaries would do for Continuing Education credits and special interest such as learning R code. The one person who had volunteered was concerned about her identity. There is a student local to me I think might like to do this for pay, although she would not be in the actuarial community. I do not have resources to pay actuarial wages, and I do not receive any royalties for the paper. I will ask the call for papers team about what is customary to pay, so that at least I will know. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenAnderson View Post
Oh, that is a fair point. I did not know about paid peer review, really. I thought that the review was something that actuaries would do for Continuing Education credits and special interest such as learning R code. The one person who had volunteered was concerned about her identity. There is a student local to me I think might like to do this for pay, although she would not be in the actuarial community. I do not have resources to pay actuarial wages, and I do not receive any royalties for the paper. I will ask the call for papers team about what is customary to pay, so that at least I will know. Thank you.
I take it this is for some type of academic paper? I don't think people typically do this type of thing for continuing education. If you want a comprehensive professional analysis of the code, expect to pay top dollar for an actuarial consultant. Sounds like that's way beyond what you need though. If you're just looking for someone to kick the tires a bit and give you a few pointers on how to improve things, could you just post the code here (or on stackoverflow)? Are you expecting this will take 30 minutes of someone's time? If so, posting here is appropriate, and you'll probably get some good feedback. If it's more like 30 hours, chances are, you'll have difficulty getting experienced people to do it for free, and although inexperienced people might be willing to help out to learn R, their advice won't be as helpful. If money is an issue, offering co-authorship on an academic paper might be appealing to folks, but again, that depends on what you're looking to do with this.

The anonymity thing is because the profession is so small. There aren't that many actuaries to begin with, and it's an even smaller population once you start cutting it down to people that work with R and weather modeling in a P&C job (as an example). People use this site asking for career advice all the time, and you wouldn't want your boss to know you're looking for a job externally if you can help it.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Isn't it the custom to pay peer reviewers? Just askin'
Academic peer review for journal articles is usually an unpaid voluntary thing. Reviewing grant proposals is often unpaid for basic reviews of a proposal. If you're serving on a review panel you may get a thousand bucks if you have to travel and spend a couple of days on sight. I think for some EU proposals, you'll get paid 100 to 200 euros for a basic review.

Tags
ce credit, el nino, r language, weather