Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 10-31-2017, 12:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Argh. I thought you had an SVS PB sub. Gotcha! Yeah, with variable tuning you are getting either 25Hz or 17Hz extension. At your volumes you could do either.

Now if you want to upgrade, start a new thread and I will tell you why you need moar bass. Then show that thread to the wife.
More bass is always necessary.

I just moved and am finding that I'm lacking in bass now that I have a larger area to fill. A single 18 just doesn't do it.

Speaking of the new place, I got a new pair of speakers for my mains
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
More bass is always necessary.

I just moved and am finding that I'm lacking in bass now that I have a larger area to fill. A single 18 just doesn't do it.

Speaking of the new place, I got a new pair of speakers for my mains
What kind of new speakers?

For subs, I vote for more subs over a single powerful sub. See: http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/multiple%20subs.pdf

Basically: using multiple subs, scattered about the room, will get you a flatter frequency response. If you have the space, add another sub or two.

What kind of sub do you have now? If you want to see lots of neat data, head over to data-bass and see what subs can really do. I thought my SVS PB13 was powerful until I saw some of the numbers on that site.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
What kind of new speakers?

For subs, I vote for more subs over a single powerful sub. See: http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/multiple%20subs.pdf

Basically: using multiple subs, scattered about the room, will get you a flatter frequency response. If you have the space, add another sub or two.

What kind of sub do you have now? If you want to see lots of neat data, head over to data-bass and see what subs can really do. I thought my SVS PB13 was powerful until I saw some of the numbers on that site.
I got JTR 212T's for the LR and the 228HT's will move to surround duty.

My sub is basically a Chase Home Theater SS18.1. It was a early demo version with a built in plate amp. Should be real similar to the data-bass output for the SS18.1. Its not fantastic but definitely did the job in a smaller area.

I do have a couple additional subs that I'll be using as well when I can get them to the house. They are some custom Elemental Designs subs. Each are sealed dual 15"s and I have a Behringer EP2500 to power them. They should be similar output wise to the current 18", so getting them all going together should be plenty of output for what I'm looking for. I haven't fan modded the EP2500 yet though, which I likely will want to do or get it outside the listening area.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I got JTR 212T's for the LR and the 228HT's will move to surround duty.

My sub is basically a Chase Home Theater SS18.1. It was a early demo version with a built in plate amp. Should be real similar to the data-bass output for the SS18.1. Its not fantastic but definitely did the job in a smaller area.

I do have a couple additional subs that I'll be using as well when I can get them to the house. They are some custom Elemental Designs subs. Each are sealed dual 15"s and I have a Behringer EP2500 to power them. They should be similar output wise to the current 18", so getting them all going together should be plenty of output for what I'm looking for. I haven't fan modded the EP2500 yet though, which I likely will want to do or get it outside the listening area.
Now that you mention the Chase sub, it sounds familiar... you probably told me before and it's slipped my brain. I've kind of forgotten about ED subs, they were a really good shop. I heard... I think the JTR 210 at RMAF last year, and I've heard the old triple-12 with the coax driver. JTR makes some fun gear for sure - if you have the room!

Do you use an EQ for your subs? I have a few, but decided to just go simple and use the parametric EQ built into my receiver. So I can't EQ subs independently, but it's fine. I want to love the MiniDSP, but it was always finicky, and a couple months ago it just stopped connecting to my PC altogether.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Now that you mention the Chase sub, it sounds familiar... you probably told me before and it's slipped my brain. I've kind of forgotten about ED subs, they were a really good shop. I heard... I think the JTR 210 at RMAF last year, and I've heard the old triple-12 with the coax driver. JTR makes some fun gear for sure - if you have the room!

Do you use an EQ for your subs? I have a few, but decided to just go simple and use the parametric EQ built into my receiver. So I can't EQ subs independently, but it's fine. I want to love the MiniDSP, but it was always finicky, and a couple months ago it just stopped connecting to my PC altogether.
I love my JTRs and when I needed to round out the HT, I figured I might as well upgrade the mains and just move my current ones to the rear. The ED subs are still really good. It was sad to see them go under.

I can EQ by either the receiver or plate amp for the CS 18. I have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (2 actually, different ones...one is FBQ2496 I believe and one is DSP1124P) which I have used with the ED subs. Lots of flexibility with those, but I've never taken full advantage and got a mic to help get it flattened out the best. I've normally gone primarily by ear with how I like the sound.

It seems the MiniDSP is super popular, but I've never really looked into it at all.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I love my JTRs and when I needed to round out the HT, I figured I might as well upgrade the mains and just move my current ones to the rear. The ED subs are still really good. It was sad to see them go under.

I can EQ by either the receiver or plate amp for the CS 18. I have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (2 actually, different ones...one is FBQ2496 I believe and one is DSP1124P) which I have used with the ED subs. Lots of flexibility with those, but I've never taken full advantage and got a mic to help get it flattened out the best. I've normally gone primarily by ear with how I like the sound.

It seems the MiniDSP is super popular, but I've never really looked into it at all.
I have a Feedback Destroyer, it's been reliable and easy to use. I did buy a Dayton OmniMic, and I absolutely love it. But more for EQ-ing the mid/high freqs, I can never quite tune those freqs by ear, and the mic makes it simple.

The MiniDSP is popular because the small one (two inputs, four outputs) is like $100. It's stupid easy to use and waaaaay flexible. Some of the more expensive models have FIR filters so you can flatten your phase response, which is awesome. Perhaps they've gotten better, they weren't known for tremendous reliability.

So ED is gone, and the TC Sounds 5400 is no longer available. I need to look around for good 15/18" drivers that aren't crazy expensive. Dayton is an obvious choice, either Reference or Ultimax.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
I have a Feedback Destroyer, it's been reliable and easy to use. I did buy a Dayton OmniMic, and I absolutely love it. But more for EQ-ing the mid/high freqs, I can never quite tune those freqs by ear, and the mic makes it simple.

The MiniDSP is popular because the small one (two inputs, four outputs) is like $100. It's stupid easy to use and waaaaay flexible. Some of the more expensive models have FIR filters so you can flatten your phase response, which is awesome. Perhaps they've gotten better, they weren't known for tremendous reliability.

So ED is gone, and the TC Sounds 5400 is no longer available. I need to look around for good 15/18" drivers that aren't crazy expensive. Dayton is an obvious choice, either Reference or Ultimax.
The Ultimax is nice. I've got a 12" that I bought for stupid cheap that I rarely have used. It definitely is a quality driver. My only problem is I have to deal with a few little things to get it running exactly correct.

I got it in an ED enclosure from when they went under and a Dayton plate amp. The ED enclosure didn't have enough clearance on the mounting point for the sub, so I need to get that smaller slightly to accommodate. Also I need to make it so the port doesn't rattle.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Very interesting! Okay, I may have to try a SubDude down the road. I'm cut off until Christmas.
Quote:
Looks like this one is the perfect size:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O2PMO...=357FB02VFL88N
I have zero patience. I went ahead and bought the one in the link and it arrived today.

I can't tell that it did a darn thing to help with rattling. But it does seem to have cleaned up my bass a bit, so it stays. Plus, it should make it much easier to slide my sub around on my carpet (since I have spikes on the sub). That way, I can experiment with different placement without any hassle.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:14 PM
SOA

Would it make sense that this subwoofer pad would help my stereo imaging or soundstage? I can't rule out it being imagined, and I have no idea why it would impact imaging (since subwoofers generate frequencies that the brain struggles to locate in space), but it sure seems to have helped.

Weird.

Again, I'll take it! Just wish I understood the theory better.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Would it make sense that this subwoofer pad would help my stereo imaging or soundstage? I can't rule out it being imagined, and I have no idea why it would impact imaging (since subwoofers generate frequencies that the brain struggles to locate in space), but it sure seems to have helped.
Maybe the sub's cabinet was generating harmonic resonances in the floor, creating a bit of interference with the sound from the mains.