Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison (1st year)
Default Failed Exam P twice!!! Where to go from here?

So, I took Exam P yesterday and miserably failed. I got a high in general probability, low in univariate probability, and a low in multivariate probability. Compared to my first attempt, I don't know if it's better or worse as I got a medium in general probability and univariate probability and a high in multivariate probability. The interesting thing was that prior to taking this exam, I used Coaching Actuaries for two months and reached to an EL of 5.4, unlike when I had an EL of 3 before my first attempt. Maybe, if I could improve my EL to at least of 6, there could have been a chance of passing, but who knows? I am preparing to retake it in January 2019. Does anyone know of any good and cheap resources so that I can thoroughly hone in on my weak areas, which were univariate and multivariate probability distributions (according to my exam results)? I know some people prefer TIA to Coaching Actuaries because it hones on the fundamentals and some people prefer Actex or ASM manuals because of the amount of practice exams and cost.

My plan is to find the right resources and brush up on the fundamentals for all three areas, for about 1 to 2 months. Then, around December, my plan is to start taking practice exams under real exam conditions (i.e. ADAPT) for at least a month until my exam date. Does this sound like a reasonable and smart plan?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 PM
SOA

I currently offer a video course for $99 which has conciseness as one of its main advantages over other available resources so that you can very efficiently go over your weak topics: www.probabilityexam.com this may be particularly useful for someone in your situation. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

The formula sheets and a practice exam (with video solutions) on the course page are free to download.

Best of luck passing next time!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

I used Coaching Actuaries and the free TIA exams. I would suggest doing the free TIA ones close to your exam as they visually look like the CBT format you will see at Prometric. I'd also encourage you to get an EL 7 or higher. You probably have a good grasp at the material at this point, but really need to work on practice problems. After I do practice exams, I watch ALL of the solutions. Even the ones I got right. You might discover a short cut or two by doing that or just a better way to solve that type of problem. Honestly, it sounds like you probably haven't studied as much as you need to be able to pass. I had to study a lot more for P and C than I did for FM, MFE, and MLC.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:07 PM
CAS

College: SUNY New Paltz, Senior
Favorite beer: Molson

I failed P in July and just passed it this September. The key to my success was continuing to do practice problems. I did questions from the SOA bank, TIA free exams and then further prepared by purchasing a 15 day ADAPT subscription. I only got to an EL of 5.14 but I had good understanding of all of the topics and was a better problem solver. In addition to Ashley, I watched video solutions to the problems I get correct as well to ensure that my approach to the problem was the best approach.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 AM
CAS SOA

College: University of Manitoba
Favorite beer: pepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidb4 View Post
I failed P in July and just passed it this September. The key to my success was continuing to do practice problems. I did questions from the SOA bank, TIA free exams and then further prepared by purchasing a 15 day ADAPT subscription. I only got to an EL of 5.14 but I had good understanding of all of the topics and was a better problem solver. In addition to Ashley, I watched video solutions to the problems I get correct as well to ensure that my approach to the problem was the best approach.
P/1, FM/2, VEE's, 3F, MAS-I, MAS-II, 5, 6, ASA

Are these the new requirements to attain ASA???
Old 10-09-2018, 04:11 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by An enemy is legendary View Post

No
Old 10-13-2018, 03:48 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by An enemy is legendary View Post

Looks like requirements to attain ACAS. You need a professionalism course too.

https://www.casact.org/cms/files/201...to_Success.pdf
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)