Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about Daylight Savings Time?
Itís totally fine Ė leave things as they are today 27 18.00%
Itís evil Ė we need standard time year round 57 38.00%
I like DST, but it needs to be year round 41 27.33%
Letís split the difference and do a 30-minute average year round 14 9.33%
I prefer some other fun alternative (such as setting our clocks according to sunrise) 5 3.33%
42:00 6 4.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 AM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Default Daylight Savings Time - Good or Evil?

Here we go again - another switch to Daylight Saving TIme. And here I go again - bring up the question "Why?"

Let's look at the pros and cons. First the cons:

#C1) It's a pain to switch all those clocks. How many clocks do you have in the house? In your cars? Which ones of them automatically switch and which don't?

#C2) The switch messes with our body's groove. Or at least it does mine.

#C3) It's such a pain to send the kids to bed at 9PM, and it's still daylight. How many times have you heard this? "Go to sleep kids." "But it's not nighttime." "Who cares? Go to sleep!"

#C4) For astronomer types, it sucks to wait till 10PM to look at the stars. (Then again, they're always fighting light pollution anyway!)

Now the pros:

#P1) They say you save on energy.

#P2) With the sun setting later, people are getting more sunlight and are happier - meaning less suicides and the like. (Okay, I'm running out of pros here.)

#P3) DST gives the perfect excuse for missing your 8AM Monday morning meeting. "Oops! Forgot to set my clock ahead!"

Okay, discuss. You can see that in my list, the cons outweigh the pros, UNLESS the value of saving on energy is greater than the pain of suffering the cons. What I'd be interested in seeing is evidence showing that we really save on energy.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 AM
SOA

I thought the original goal was to help farmers out. Does it still have that effect?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
I thought the original goal was to help farmers out. Does it still have that effect?
I've never understood that. Since when do farmers care what the clock says? I saw on TV that they wake up when the crow tells them to.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
I've never understood that. Since when do farmers care what the clock says? I saw on TV that they wake up when the crow tells them to.
According to Wikipedia, I was completely misinformed.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
I may be missing something, but I never bought that argument. Wouldn't the farmers work by the sun anyway (start working at dawn, etc., regardless of the time).

I don't think we need to have sunlight until 10 p.m. in late June. Let's just compromise and move the clocks half way between standard and daylight savings time.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
#C2) The switch messes with our body's groove. Or at least it does mine.
Didn't mess with my groove too much yesterday - we are on the 1:00PM church schedule.

This morning was a bit tough though.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

I don't quite understand the energy argument. We still have the same total number of hours of daylight, so aren't we going to use the same amount of energy, we'll just be shifting the times when most of it is used?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
I don't quite understand the energy argument. We still have the same total number of hours of daylight, so aren't we going to use the same amount of energy, we'll just be shifting the times when most of it is used?
I think the idea is that people will go to bed when the clock says so. With daylight savings that time will occur 1 hour earlier, meaning that people will be in bed instead of being awake with the lights on - or something like that.

And they aren't sleeping through as much daylight in the morning either.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
I think the idea is that people will go to bed when the clock says so. With daylight savings that time will occur 1 hour earlier, meaning that people will be in bed instead of being awake with the lights on - or something like that.
That's what I thought. However, I still have to get up at the same time to go to work. And now, it's dark when I get up. So I have to turn on all the lights in the morning now instead of the evening.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Ask yourself the question: would you rather it be light from 5 AM to 6 AM, or from 9 PM to 10 PM? The latter is clearly preferable for me.

The more sunlight we have in the evening, the more outdoor activities we can do after work, a boon to golf courses, but a problem for drive-in theaters.

Just tell your kids they have no problem sleeping when it's light out in the morning. And if they have problems falling asleep? Are they getting too much sleep?

Listen and vote in Battle of the Bands XIV!

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.