Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Is a VP-level position (I am an AVP now) so she likes the sector and title change.
VP vp? or vp?
There are thousands of VPs in each bank.
You become a VP after 5 yrs into the job.

What matters is partner or managing director in IB

If you're one of those regular vps, then expect to be at the same level as mid 20s guys who graduated from associate level bankers.

Last edited by ronaldy27; 12-28-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
I know actuarial folks disagree, but titles matter a great deal in the corporate non-actuarial environment.
I'd just find that work environment/lifestyle depressing.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM
CAS

I honestly would go for it, for twice the money.

Even if you lose the job, with your title and experience, you could fall back to something.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
I'd just find that work environment/lifestyle depressing.
Really think it comes down to his own interests in what he wants to do. From my perspective, if you're already at a respectable pay grade, you should move towards things that you want to do rather than trying to optimize compensation scenarios. As someone else pointed out... "What is it that you really want to do?" Search that out and layer it on top of the compensation piece, which should matter in situations where the swings are rather large.

This can be extended to work hours as well. Doing something you enjoy for 50 hours a week > 35 hours of randomly shuffling papers (although some will argue for the 15 additional hours they get).

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Really think it comes down to his own interests in what he wants to do. From my perspective, if you're already at a respectable pay grade, you should move towards things that you want to do rather than trying to optimize compensation scenarios. As someone else pointed out... "What is it that you really want to do?" Search that out and layer it on top of the compensation piece, which should matter in situations where the swings are rather large.

This can be extended to work hours as well. Doing something you enjoy for 50 hours a week > 35 hours of randomly shuffling papers (although some will argue for the 15 additional hours they get).

-Riley
I agree with this. Also, research is not respected much in IB.
If I recall, research is back office work. Front office jobs are where the real money and respect is at.
Bank working culture is also not that great.

If you're pretty happy with what you make, I wouldn't risk all that happiness for more bucks.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

You need a British title like Managing Director or Queen Mum (not just on Fridays)

"I'm here to entertain, and inform." -George Carlin
Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
From my perspective, if you're already at a respectable pay grade, you should move towards things that you want to do rather than trying to optimize compensation scenarios.

-Riley
Have fun enjoying your life. We'll see who's laughing when I die with an extra cool million or two in my bank account.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
Have fun enjoying your life. We'll see who's laughing when I die with an extra cool million or two in my bank account.
Cool million? Are you freezing your assets?

"I'm here to entertain, and inform." -George Carlin
Old 12-28-2017, 04:12 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Not a big fan of the research role, it's in decline generally, and new MiFID rules won't help. I wouldn't look at the current/past salaries as predictive.

3 "not as technically oriented" - similar to how Trump is "not as presidential" as Obama. I often see a job posting for "sell side equity research analyst" - all you need to do is pay attention to what's the first word, and what's the last, to know the priorities.
4 Job security - you've already worked as an actuary, not that hard to go back later if you want to, if that makes it better.
5 "sunk cost". Yes, there's an irrational/emotional component, but you'll get over that.

Honestly, wouldn't do it. JMO.
I have been looking at the Mifid II rules that are coming online next month as they would impact the role, but have yet to trudge through all the data.

If they are going to limit pay progression/job security, that is something I will have to factor in as well. Mostly going to be looking at the insurance sector as well, and give an actuarial opinion (most of the folks in research seem to be accountants by trade) on firms. More paper work and less analysis for the most part.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
My wife and I will not be returning to the US anytime soon.

I may end up in Brazil. There are aa lot of opportunities there
Just to add to this: my wife and her family live very well in Rio which is an added bonus as the quality of life would be very high for us (think big house right in front of beach with maid/cook/butler) which is something that I found I like quite a bit.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.

Tags
jas + ib = memes