Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM
SOA

Default Combining a J&S with a lump sum death benefit

What litmus test do you use to determine how much of a lump sum death benefit, payable to the beneficiary (or estate) when the member dies, is allowable when member selects a joint and survivor option within a DB plan? Are there regulatory or best practice considerations? If so, specifically which ones should be considered?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Why are you paying a LS death benefit if a J&S annuity is being paid?

I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence? - Arni Bjoernsson
You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil. ... Dumb students are educated stupid. - timecube.com
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 PM
SOA

As long as actuarial equivalence at retirement is respected, why can't you tack on this additional benefit? We can and we do pay death benefits in addition to survivor benefits. My question is what is the most appropriate way to determine the largest lump sum payable? We have our methods, but I'm curious about what others do.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdork View Post
As long as actuarial equivalence at retirement is respected, why can't you tack on this additional benefit? We can and we do pay death benefits in addition to survivor benefits. My question is what is the most appropriate way to determine the largest lump sum payable? We have our methods, but I'm curious about what others do.
I am slightly confused. Are you asking, is there a maximum LS allowable by law if a plan were to offer an optional payment form that included both a J&S option and a LS payable to the spouse upon the death of the member?

I have seen quite a few plans in both the public and private sector and don't think I have ever seen that type of optional benefit. I have seen minimal retiree death benefits offered in an attempt to cover funeral expenses, but never that required the member pay for them out of their own benefit. It has been a while since I have had to worry about QJSA & QPSA rules so am not all that familiar with them any longer, but given the plan could offer a 100% LS benefit payment option at retirement I don't see why the value would necessarily be anything less than 100% of the value of the benefit, as long as the J&S benefits were properly structured and met the RMD requirements.

Now that I actually think about it, it seems like the RMD requirements are likely to be the factor that restricts how small the annuity payments can legally be. From a practical perspective, the administrative burden of paying small benefits should also restrict how small a plan sponsor would be willing to allow the annuity payments.

I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence? - Arni Bjoernsson
You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil. ... Dumb students are educated stupid. - timecube.com
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 PM
SOA

I believe the APV of the lump sum cannot be more than 50% of the value of the reserve at retirement, but I think there are other things to consider. If I'm not mistaken, which I may be, you cannot shift too much of the value of the benefit to the LSDB for tax reasons - the man wants his money sort of thing. The question remains - how does one determine the largest available lump sum death benefit with a J&S benefit?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I believe the APV of the lump sum cannot be more than 50% of the value of the reserve at retirement, but I think there are other things to consider. If I'm not mistaken, which I may be, you cannot shift too much of the value of the benefit to the LSDB for tax reasons - the man wants his money sort of thing. The question remains - how does one determine the largest available lump sum death benefit with a J&S benefit?
What does "reserve" mean in the context of a J&S benefit?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Is this a US plan? Maybe you could provide some actual details instead of being so cryptic because 100% LS options are allowable for US plans and the optional payment form you are describing is not common in the US. It would be helpful to know what regulatory environment we are talking about.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 AM
SOA AAA

I have seen a couple of plans that offer a J&S where the survivor would get to elect between a continuing annuity or a lump sum upon the death of the original annuitant. The lump sum was calculated based on minimum 417 limits.

In terms of how much it can be, there may be some limits on the percentage of a J&S that can be passed along, depending upon if the joint annuitant is a spouse or not. (if not a spouse and much younger, there are IRS prescribed limits).

The above should not be interpreted as being professional advice, or even correct for that matter.