Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-15-2014, 12:51 PM
SOA AAA

no probs. just having some fun.
I'll have to check that book out, next time I visit a bookstore.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
Jonathan Little has a cash game book out now that is probably pretty good. Haven't read it though.
I just ordered it. It sounded like a nice solid intermediate level book that assumes I already know how to calculate pot odds and count outs and such. I probably won't need a book to beat 1/2 at Foxwoods, even after some time away, but any edge will help.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
OK, we get it, you really like this book.
Sounds a lot like Snyder's strategy, though. From 8 years ago.
Big money is in finishing in the top 1%. Play for that. Getting in the money should not be the goal (though it's a nice payout if you satellite in).
I don't remember if I ever asked you whether you have ever played a tournament blind like Snyder suggests. I tried it once or twice I think, and I remember it being as fun as he said it was.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 AM
SOA AAA

I'd have to find a buy-in small enough. I'm cash-poor.
I have some $40 satellites for an $800 tourney coming in January. Maybe I'll do one of those "modified blind": look at hand only before I'm supposed to fold. (He discusses this in his second book.)
Is that guy dead or something? His web site sure is.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

Even if he had to play it blind, I'm sure Dr T would find a way to only play JJ+ and AK imo
Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Is that guy dead or something? His web site sure is.
He's busto. He paid the "ICM tax" one too many times imo

The "ICM tax" is basically the theoretical amount you pay for doing stupid stuff on the bubble or when payouts are steep
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
You must play vastly different tournaments than I do. As blinds rise, people get looser, not tighter, because they start to realize that they're getting blinded out and it's time to stop waiting around for AK/QQ+. The early levels are where you play laggy, because no one wants to play big pots for the first hour or two, because they'd feel terrible if they lost half their stack that early. So that's where you steal lots of pots. And I'm not afraid of semi-bluffing all-in even I think I'm a 40/60 dog if called, because a lot of players will fold the best hand even if they convince themselves I'm on a draw.
FWIW, whenever I've won or came in top 3 in a tourney, I almost always had average (or lower) chips entering final table. I think it's because it forces me to tighten up a bit more than I usually play.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Just got through the first chapter of Little's book on cash games. So far I'm kind of let down. Maybe there are some nuggets in there, but on the whole it seems like obvious stuff like "If a guy who plays very few hands raises, you should fold unless playing a hand with high implied odds." and "Against a LAG if you have position it's good to widen your three betting range."

It all seems really common sense stuff.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
Just got through the first chapter of Little's book on cash games. So far I'm kind of let down. Maybe there are some nuggets in there, but on the whole it seems like obvious stuff like "If a guy who plays very few hands raises, you should fold unless playing a hand with high implied odds." and "Against a LAG if you have position it's good to widen your three betting range."

It all seems really common sense stuff.
c'mon bro, first chapter of every book is usually stuff like calculating pot odds
Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
c'mon bro, first chapter of every book is usually stuff like calculating pot odds
The intro to the book explicitly says he's going to skip right to interesting stuff because he assumes everyone buying his book already knows the basics.