Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM

From the side it looked like a head shot. Anything is possible I suppose.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
CAS AAA

I thought it was a head shot with high confidence. I don't think Rick could ever get away with a body shot after executing all of Hershel's family.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
From the side it looked like a head shot. Anything is possible I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
I thought it was a head shot with high confidence. I don't think Rick could ever get away with a body shot after executing all of Hershel's family.
did you pay close attention to the preview? as rick is standing over her, does her body move

rick might not be able to get away with it, but i can see it going down that way
Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Watched the episode last night.

I thought the shot at the end was a head shot, but I also thought I saw her moving afterwards, maybe just some sort of residual thing, like when you cut the head off a chicken.

It's funny to me how some people are taking Shane's side and some Rick's. I'm personally still in Rick's boat. I thought helping Herschel was the right thing to do and understand his reasoning. That barn was secure. the walkers basicly just stood around. It's when you go up to the door like Shane did and the walkers get a little smell of flesh, then they want out and start pushing on that door. If they ever escaped from that barn it would have been someone's fault (like Shane's), he'd be standing too close and they'd all push and break down the wall/door/whatever.

As far as Shane, I think he's gone off the deep end and that's why I wouldn't follow him. I understand the world has changed, but you still have to be civil towards the living. If he wants to break off on his own, fine, I'm sure he'd last longer against the zombies than the group, but if he ran into another group of living, he'd probably get killed by them.

Also, Herschel - I think he realized after Shane shot that zombie that maybe he has been wrong the whole time, that's why he just sat there. Like Rick said earlier in the episode, Herschel had been on the farm and only knew what little was on the news before that went off the air. He knew that getting bit would make you turn. It looked like most of the zombies in the barn only had bites and no real wounds. I think those shots made him realize that there was no way to save his wife, so he was shutting down and just letting them kill the zombies they had no attachment too. Of course when they got to Sophia, it was a little harder for someone to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I've only read like the first couple of comics and I just wanted to share the differences between the two barn scenes. (someone else that remembers the comics better might need to correct me) First difference, Otis is still alive in the books and Shane is dead. Second, I think there was only 1 zombie and it walked basically straight into the farm. Third, Rick wants to kill it, Herschel's entire group works on herding it into the barn. fourth, when they try to open the barn doors to get it in, the entire herd of zombies breaks out. That's when Rick's team comes to the rescue and kills all the zombies.

So, instead of Shane's craziness letting them out, it's Herschel's own group that let's them all out and Rick's group has to defend themselves. Not sure which version I like better. As has been pointed out, there is a lot of deviation from the books.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
did you pay close attention to the preview? as rick is standing over her, does her body move

rick might not be able to get away with it, but i can see it going down that way
Will have to rewatch the preview again, but it could be a dream/vision as they did with Merle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL4slORJqcA

If you can watch Youtube at work, pause at 4:13. there's little blood coming out of her, but the angle of Rick's arm clearly looks like it's a headshot.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
some people here at work doubt me on this. they claim to see something coming from her head. i contend it's her hair flipping from the chest shot impact, if anything.

someone needs to check out the preview again. it looks to me like rick is standing over her and she moves a little.
From the angle of his gun it sure looked like a head shot. I don't remember seeing any blood splatter from the head so you could be right, but then again I don't remember any blood spray from the body either. I assume this was just an oversight and they were more focused on everything else in the scene then the head splatter, but I could be wrong.

I didn't watch the previews so I'm not sure if she was still moving in it. If Rick didn't shoot her in the head, then he is incredibly dumb.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

How could he miss? He was like 3 feet away. Maybe she is moving, which would cause Shane or soemone else to shoot her again in the beginning of the next episode
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM

There was no reason to let the zombies out of the barn. If anything, strengthen the doors and locks to decrease the chance of a breakout, but it seemed unlikely unless you taunt them. They just mill around unless there is something prompting them to apply force in a particular direction.

The bad part to me was wasting chickens on feeding the zombies. I don't see the point. It isn't like two chickens is enough for the 15-20 zombies they had in there. Though who is to say what is "enough"? Ask the FDA for a zombie food pyramid.

I'm surprised there is no dog on the farm.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
The bad part to me was wasting chickens on feeding the zombies. I don't see the point. It isn't like two chickens is enough for the 15-20 zombies they had in there. Though who is to say what is "enough"? Ask the FDA for a zombie food pyramid.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The thing I dont' understand for serious is that Hershel knew the group was looking for a little girl. And he [had to, right?] knew that they had a little girl zombie in the barn. So once Hershel knew that Dale knew there were zombies in the barn, why didn't he finish this whole "let's hunt for Sophie a few more days" drama by revealing at least to Dale that Sophie has been found?

I guess that will be one of the issues early on in February's episodes.
Would Rick have found Sophie in the barn had they been allowed to corral the 2 walkers? Did Herschel invite Rick partially because he knew there was a girl in the barn that Rick would see? I'm not sure if Otis would have told Herschel about storing a girl.
Quote:
At least Rick positioned himself amongst the common sentiment by walking up and shooting Sophie. That way he doesn't get entirely ostracized.
I agree that this was very important. I also liked the makeup job on Sophie.

Enjoyable episode

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf