Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Merle: Sucky suck! That was really gutsy of him, and kinda stoopid, but fits him well. I really liked his character. He even made a great zombie. I could almost hear him saying, "Well, little brother. What do you think of this little plot twist? I sure showed them, didn't I?"

Thinking back, I'm not so sure that the last few episodes have been fillers, as they each explored a different character(s). But still, the eminent battle has been delayed for ... like ... four weeks now, so it fills like these episodes have all been fillers.

Rick: We'll see how his new democracy goes. I really, really, really hope they don't vote to run. That would be the ultimate letdown. This group needs to not do what's best for them, but rather what's best for maximizing our viewing pleasure.

Governor: Still waiting for some cussing, but there wasn't much opportunity for him to speak this time. It's either next week or nothing.

Fingers: Glenn did it. The Governor did it. Glenn's was funny. The Governor's was like repeating a joke that fell flat.

Talking Dead: I think I finally figured out what irritates me about those hashtag commercials. It usually goes like this: something moderately big happens (such as Michonne killing off her own zombie pets), then an immediate cut to a commercial, then the Talking Dead dude or some voiceover says, "How about that? The hashtag is ..." and then they spew some "clever" hashtag (such as #deadzombiepets).

What irritates me is that you know these guys sat in a room spinning their wheels to come up with a clever hashtag. But to us in real time, we're still processing what just happened. (OMG! Michonne just offed her zombies!) And the clever hashtags sound so trite and fall flat.

It's kind of like when my grandma (when she was up in her years) would make dinner for me, and as soon as I put that first bite into my mouth, she would say, "So, how is it?" I would have liked to have said, "I don't know ... haven't swallowed yet." I don't know if she did it intentionally, but it was dang funny.

But ... Talking Dead hashtags ... annoying!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
But ... Talking Dead hashtags ... annoying!
fyp

well, more often than not.

and it does not need to be an hour
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
SOA

Did Merle pack a magical phone in his bag right after his conversation with Daryl?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
fyp

well, more often than not.

and it does not need to be an hour
Ever notice guests having something to say, but the host is too wrapped up in talking to notice/care/let them talk?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Did Merle pack a magical phone in his bag right after his conversation with Daryl?
I believe he used the rotary dialer to "cuff" Michonne's fingers (plus he probably used the cords as well).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck-Billed Platitudes View Post
I believe he used the rotary dialer to "cuff" Michonne's fingers (plus he probably used the cords as well).
How is Rick going to converse with made up voices now?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
How is Rick going to converse with made up voices now?
they will probably find a working satellite phone in the next episode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-On Devi View Post
I have never heard of menopausal jailbait.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM

I thought Merle would have responded to Michonne's calls of "Merle" sooner than he did while he was trying to get that car working.

Merle could have at least driven Michonne back towards the prison a few miles. Maybe he didn't have the gas to do so?

I also think Merle could have made a bigger zombie swarm than that. I've been waiting a long time for someone to manipulate a horde of zombies by baiting them with noise/motion.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Favorite beer: Kupo Nut Pale Ale

a little disappointed that the entire showdown will be contained in one episode. my bet is that the governor survives to see season 4.

a lot disappointed in Merle, or at least the way it was written. the idea very much fit his character, and the execution was perfect. however, i have no doubt that he would have succeeded in killing the governor if TV didn't need him to survive. made the whole thing feel a little hollow.

i get that he felt like he didn't belong to the group, so he wanted to do something drastic to either earn their trust or die trying. he could have accomplished that same thing during the attack that we're presumably getting next episode. i guess the whole thing as written wasn't so bad, i just wish the catalyst for Merle's failure wasn't something as trivial as being surprised by a zombie....

season finale next week!
where's that confounded bridge
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Favorite beer: Kupo Nut Pale Ale

i also thought Merle took way way too long to respond to Michonne's call. i don't know what that was supposed to convey. maybe Merle couldn't hear her? but even then, he has to know that a car alarm would attrack walkers.

a thought did just occur to me, though. maybe he didn't know that sound attracted walkers that quickly, and the situation itself is what gave him the idea later on?
where's that confounded bridge

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf