Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

I'm ready for the second half to start. I'm finishing my exam on Feb 3 and I may watch S1 and S2.5 before it aires.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Agree, but in real life I would probably act more like season 2. If I found a reasonably safe place, I might settle in for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
I agree with this. Season 2 was a lot closer to how this stuff would go down in real life. There's a lot of dead time, so it didn't bother me a whole lot. They still had some good scenes and good action, maybe it was a little farther between, but it kept me interested.
Meh. I watching a zombie thriller/action show, not a "what life would really be like in zombie apocalypse" show.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM

I mentally convert it into a "what would I do in a zombie apocalypse" game.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
SOA

Studying for LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
I mentally convert it into a "what would I do in a zombie apocalypse" game.

And I would totally fail. I know what I need, but don't have the money / space for it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
SOA

Studying for LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgadd View Post

And I would totally fail. I know what I need, but don't have the money / space for it.
I guess money would help me buy space, so I don't have the money for it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM

What do you think you need that you don't have the money/space for? You may have more capability than you're aware of.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
SOA

Studying for LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
What do you think you need that you don't have the money/space for? You may have more capability than you're aware of.
Food stores, ammunition stores, more weapons, first aid stuff, Chevy K5 Blazer. I'm not planning on "roughing" it in the woods. I'd like to try and find some place to just defend.

My fiance has already shot down turning our apartment's den into a pantry. Weapons cost lots of money. Would really like the SUV, but would have to pay crazy parking fees.

I'm just going to have to wait until I move back south and things are cheaper and there is more space.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Meh. I watching a zombie thriller/action show, not a "what life would really be like in zombie apocalypse" show.
I got the impression that it was pitched more as "survival in a zombie apocalypse" show, with the focus being on the humans instead of zombie action.

Don't get me wrong. I think the first part of S2 was weak compared to S1 and sure hope the rest of S2 is better. But I don't tune in expecting to see even half the show consisting of humans fighting zombies, and I'm pretty sure that anyone who does will be disappointed.

In S2 the characters have seemed much more passive in their survival than I hoped. Seeing some coordination / planning / strategizing while under the safety of the farm could still allow for the character development that seemed to be the poorly-met goal for the first part of S2.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Food stores, ammunition stores, more weapons, first aid stuff, Chevy K5 Blazer. I'm not planning on "roughing" it in the woods. I'd like to try and find some place to just defend.

My fiance has already shot down turning our apartment's den into a pantry. Weapons cost lots of money. Would really like the SUV, but would have to pay crazy parking fees.

I'm just going to have to wait until I move back south and things are cheaper and there is more space.
Water is the ultimate limiting factor of survival. If you're creative you can store a lot of all those things you mentioned in a small space. Maintain a list of what you have already and see what you're current bottleneck of survival is. For example if you have 2 weeks of water and 1 week of food, food is your limiting factor. Then typically you apply your resources towards whatever is your limiting factor.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
SOA

Quote:

Whatever SUV you end up with, make sure you paint a "3" on the front doors of it.

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf