Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 AM
SOA

Very cool! Looks like you've achieved an impressively flat response!

Like you, I can't hear a darn thing about 15kHz. So I don't worry about that part at all in comparisons.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Very cool! Looks like you've achieved an impressively flat response!

Like you, I can't hear a darn thing about 15kHz. So I don't worry about that part at all in comparisons.
Yes, things are looking pretty good. I thought they sounded a bit dull, but it's hard to tell what that means by ear. When I hooked up the mic and started twisting the treble knob, it became clear rather quickly what was happening. I got lucky that the treble knob is centered at about the right frequency!

The Yamaha has a flexible EQ, so I may add a bit more around 10-15k, but it sounds great as-is. Definitely getting close, just want my Yamaha back so I can get things going with my big subs, and then I want to follow your path on room treatments to see what might be done on that end.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM
SOA

Yeah, I'm figuring out that I'm not somebody who wants my sound perfectly flat. So if my speakers are a bit "colored" because of their lack of flat frequency response, that's actually a good thing for me.

When I tried using Audyssey to level things out, it sounded a lot worse to me. In fact, it also killed the "height" of the sound, which I don't understand in the first place how psychoacoustics pulls off "height" in sound to begin with, but it's a very real phenomenon. Anymore, I try to be very minimalistic with what I do on the electronics side, using "Pure Direct" on my receiver except when playing movies.

I'm hoping minimal room treatments will give me the expanded soundstage I'm after. I can't remember if I already posted about this, but I threw a mattress topper over that music stand between my right speaker and the fireplace. I got a notice improvement in soundstage on that side, though still not quite where I want. My hope is that a well designed acoustic treatment will do even better there. Just gotta wait 3 more months to find out!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yeah, I'm figuring out that I'm not somebody who wants my sound perfectly flat. So if my speakers are a bit "colored" because of their lack of flat frequency response, that's actually a good thing for me.

When I tried using Audyssey to level things out, it sounded a lot worse to me. In fact, it also killed the "height" of the sound, which I don't understand in the first place how psychoacoustics pulls off "height" in sound to begin with, but it's a very real phenomenon. Anymore, I try to be very minimalistic with what I do on the electronics side, using "Pure Direct" on my receiver except when playing movies.

I'm hoping minimal room treatments will give me the expanded soundstage I'm after. I can't remember if I already posted about this, but I threw a mattress topper over that music stand between my right speaker and the fireplace. I got a notice improvement in soundstage on that side, though still not quite where I want. My hope is that a well designed acoustic treatment will do even better there. Just gotta wait 3 more months to find out!
To the first point, a couple of things. One, most recorded music is mastered and what-not to have a certain sound. Some rock music is pretty bright, I think a lot of my acoustic stuff that's low-budget seems to be really warm. So if you, on average, listen to music with boosted treble, you may prefer a warmer speaker. And if I had to pick, I'd rather err on the side of warm, because too little treble is just kind of annoying, but too much treble is super-annoying. At least to my ears. So while your speakers may not measure flat, that may be because you're compensating for recording tweaks. If that makes sense.

I like the mattress topper! It may or may not translate well, but I've spent... to much time on DIYAudio. And I've come to understand that it's often the case if you get something even like 25% right, it can be more like 75% useful. So sure, try out pillows or mattress toppers or whatever you have laying around. If it does something you like, then maybe invest in something better. I'll be spending some time with pillows and couch cushions in the not-too-distant future!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 AM
SOA

Completely random thought: It's no wonder audiophiles use Steely Dan's "Aja" album to show off their equipment. Even if it's not your favorite style of music, it's very impressively recorded.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM
SOA AAA

So...buying another subwoofer. An Aurasound NS18 popped up locally and I can't say no. It doesn't have a box, so I will need to buy or build one. It likes about 5-6 cubic feet sealed, so kind of large. And it will need a bit of EQ to bring up the bottom end.

I've wanted one for years, but couldn't bring myself to pay $700 for one driver. I've seen them tested on the Klippel machine, which measures how a driver performs dynamically. I think the Aura may be the most linear sub I've ever seen on the bench. It has 25mm of excursion and it's almost perfect right up to the limit. It should take right at 1kW, and my Crown amp does 2.1kW, so I'm good on power!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM
SOA

You just bought an 18" subwoofer??? Holy cow!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:54 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Well, I had a DAC for sale. Guy came by today and I traded the DAC for a pair of Swans M200 active monitors. I can use these in our bedroom until the Peachtree get here.

I wouldn't quite call them audiophile. They have a 5" woofer in a smallish box, a dome tweeter, and of course a built-in amp. They sound pretty good though, perfect for a bedroom setup.
The Peachtree have been delayed. Again. They now say they will arrive *in the warehouse* in late October. Then they have to unpack them, QA them, and ship them. So I guess Thanksgiving at the earliest.

I'm not saying I'll shun Peachtree forever, but this is my first, and almost certainly last, Indiegogo type thing. I was supposed to have these in March.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM
SOA

Bummer.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 AM
SOA AAA

Rant number two! Picked up my Yamaha receiver today. Asked the tech if they fully checked the right main preout. Yes. Using HDMI input? Yep. Ok, great.

Get it home, wire it all up, the right main is STILL cutting in and out. If I swap left/right with my RCA cables it switches sides. If I use the receiver's internal amp, no issues. Same as before. There is something faulty in that right main preout circuit. I've contacted Yamaha again, hoping they can authorize an exchange at Best Buy or something. It's a two-hour round trip to take it to the repair center, and two hours to pick it up.

Good news is it sounds pretty fantastic using the built-in amp. But dammit, I want to use the Outlaw amps! For now, all I can do is dial in EQ on the mains and subs and see how much better I can do. And hope that Yamaha steps up to the plate.

/rant