Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
SOA AAA

When I copy and multi-paste a formula, I expect it to paste the same relative formula all the way down. I don't see how it could get pasted incorrectly. Of course, I'm usually perfect, in every way.

One formula that does deserve some scrutiny is "OFFSET". Even when hitting F2, this formula doesn't show (in different colors) which cells are actually being computed. Checking the formula's result with the specific range that is intended to be calculated (be it averaged or summarized) is paramount.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
When I copy and multi-paste a formula, I expect it to paste the same relative formula all the way down. I don't see how it could get pasted incorrectly. Of course, I'm usually perfect, in every way.
Its not a question of did the formula get entered correctly. Its more of a question of alterations in a spread sheet after the formula entry has made the values different.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Its not a question of did the formula get entered correctly. Its more of a question of alterations in a spread sheet after the formula entry has made the values different.
Or when you have the pleasure of working on someone else's files.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 PM

wrt R1C1 vs A1, I'm going with his "Break the rules" statement on Page 11. The unfamiliarity with r1c1, and the visual style of it (ie. the [ ] + -) that goes with it, makes it more difficult to determine what a formula is doing how many ranges make up the formula etc.

anyways... On Page 9 in talks about common errors, and in the paragraph it says "...as long as you construct the range names automatically." How does one construct range names automatically?
John 3:16
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
CAS

Studying for all eternity
Favorite beer: Duff

Insert>Name>Create
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFreq View Post
Insert>Name>Create
That doesn't seem so "automatic" to me.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
That doesn't seem so "automatic" to me.
Oh, you can name multiple rows/columns at once, I guess thats quicker than what i was doing "editing in that dropdown box just above the top left cell"
Still I usually have a blank row between the label and first data point, although as long as that stays empty, it should still work most of the time.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumples View Post
Or when you have the pleasure of working on someone else's files.
This is probably more like it. There are such ranges of knowledge available in the distribution curves that if I get the "pleasure" of peer-reviewing someone's work (or even checking a source that I must use), I've found that the farther away they are from my knowledge base (either more or less -- I consider myself slightly more than average, based on a spreadsheet that I keep such information on), the more difficult it is to proofread their files.

I haven't peer-reviewed the OP's link yet, so I'll see if there's anything interesting in it a bit later.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
wrt R1C1 vs A1, I'm going with his "Break the rules" statement on Page 11. The unfamiliarity with r1c1, and the visual style of it (ie. the [ ] + -) that goes with it, makes it more difficult to determine what a formula is doing how many ranges make up the formula etc.

You can easily mix and match views. If you need to make sure a formula is correct - you can use the A1 format to understand what the formula is. If you need to check that the formulas are consistent, you can use the R1C1 format to easily check for consistency.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

More links on spreadsheet errors, error rates, and the preventing thereof:
Block that Spreadsheet Error

Preventing Spreadsheet Problems

Methodology for the Audit of Spreadsheet Models

For fun, spreadsheet error horror stories

LinkedIn Profile

Tags