Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build that Wallaby View Post
Aaaaaaaand I ordered the wrong Zelda game. WHY THE **** didn't anybody mention they were releasing it on the Switch AND the WiiU??
Until about 6 months ago the game was known as "Wii U Zelda," so there's that.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:17 PM
CAS AAA

For those in this thread that just bought themselves a new Wii U... Do yourselves a favor and find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
CAS

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon ‘will come’ to Nintendo Switch ‘in time’
Old 03-09-2017, 12:00 PM

I've had the Switch for nearly a week now, so I figured I'd try my hand at writing something of a review post. Here are some comments about the various aspects of the Switch organized into no particular order or fashion other than perhaps the order in which I came up with them.

The Operating System

The OS is very snappy. The system boots/sleeps/wakes very quickly. Transition from playing a game to the home screen or the eShop is seamless, as is taking and managing screenshots. The OS is very attractive in my opinion. If I had one gripe, it would be that the UI renders in 720p even on TVs. It's a minor complaint, and hardly noticeable when sitting at a reasonable distance from the TV.

The Switch in Handheld Mode

Screen

The 720p screen looks great, and the touch interface works as well as you would expect from a modern smart phone or tablet. I only wish the Breath of the Wild had touch features enabled.

Control

The Switch controls well enough while in handheld mode. More on this when I discuss the Joycon.

Performance and Battery

Games run great in handheld mode. Breath of the Wild in particular runs smoother in handheld mode than it does on the TV.

The system sips power while not in game. I'm getting about 3 hours of battery life for BotW, which was in line with expectations.

I don't see battery ever really being an issue for me except for long flights. Longer flights often have options for charging devices though, so I don't see this being of concern either.

32GB of storage seems very low, but with game cards as the physical media, there aren't the big 40gb installs like we see on PS4 or Xbox. I was prepared to buy a 128gb SD card ($40) right out of the gate but I've been pleasantly surprised with the download sizes so far. I Am Setsuna (JRPG), Shovel Knight, and Snipperclips total only a bit over 3GBs of storage on my Switch.

If you want to buy all the AAA Nintendo games digitally though, you'll need an SD card for sure.

The Switch in Table Top Mode

The kickstand is bad. It's saving grace is that it reattaches easily after breaking off. Setting it up in table top mode requires a flat, solid surface. The screen is small and the it only works at one angle. I was thinking that this might be a viable way to play on an airplane, but I'm probably too tall for this to be effective.

I haven't tried a multiplayer game in tabletop mode, but I imagine that crowding around the screen would be undesirable in all but a few instances. Kids playing in the back seat with the aid of a mount, or people sitting in line for something like a ComicCon panel come to mind.

The Switch in TV Mode

The switch from handheld mode to TV mode truly is seamless. All of the smaller games that I've tried have scaled beautifully to the TV.

Breath of the Wild on the other hand, does look a bit dated. It's rendering a huge and detailed world at only 900p and it, at times, struggles to hit its 30 frames per second target. The art direction of the game still shines through though. I think it looks great overall and I am seldom bothered by these issues. I do hope that some of it is due to it being a port of a Wii U game and that Switch games built from the ground up will run better.

The Joycon

The Joycon feel good when attached to the handheld. They're better than the 3DS controls, so if you can handle the 3DS, you can handle the Switch in handheld mode. The lack of a dpad hurts the ability to play side scrolling platformers in hand held mode. You either have to use the analogue stick, or the split face buttons on the left side. Both are less than ideal.

When detached and playing a two player game, the wrist straps are a must. Pushing the SL and SR buttons without them is just too difficult. The Joycon worked well for a two player game of Snipperclips and I could imagine them working fine all the way up to something as complex as Mario Kart.

The Joycon grip is a passable simulation of a standard console controller. I played around 10 or so hours of BotW using the grip. I could finish the game like that if necessary.

The Pro Controller

Much has been made of the $70 price tag on the pro controller, but it is absolutely worth it in my opinion. It feels solid and weighty in the hands. The dpad is fantastic. The battery lasts seemingly forever. The gyro aiming feels really natural in Zelda for someone who has gotten used to that feature over the last several games. The only bummer is the lack of analogue triggers, but I'm not entirely sure how much I use that feature on PS4 anyway.

Conclusions

I was a bit apprehensive when we found out what the Switch was. The 3DS was my favorite system up until now and I felt like it still had room to run, even after nearly 6 years on the market. After playing the Switch though, I'm impressed with how big of an upgrade it is over the 3DS as a handheld. TV mode doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade over the Wii U, which will no doubt disappoint some people, but if you were happy enough with the power of the Wii U like me, or you're a lapsed Nintendo fan, you'll probably like it just fine.

Last edited by redprinceton; 03-09-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Old 03-09-2017, 01:01 PM

I'll be curious to see if the framerate issues in TV mode are a blip with Zelda since it wasn't designed from the ground up for the Switch. If the new Mario has the same problems I will be more concerned.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I'll be curious to see if the framerate issues in TV mode are a blip with Zelda since it wasn't designed from the ground up for the Switch. If the new Mario has the same problems I will be more concerned.
Don't have Zelda, but bought the Skylanders Imaginators for it and have not seen an issue. Granted, that game is designed for low power generation on well.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
The Joycon

The Joycon feel good when attached to the handheld. They're better than the 3DS controls, so if you can handle the 3DS, you can handle the Switch in handheld mode. The lack of a dpad hurts the ability to play side scrolling platformers in hand held mode. You either have to use the analogue stick, or the split face buttons on the left side. Both are less than ideal.

When detached and playing a two player game, the wrist straps are a must. Pushing the SL and SR buttons without them is just too difficult. The Joycon worked well for a two player game of Snipperclips and I could imagine them working fine all the way up to something as complex as Mario Kart.

The Joycon grip is a passable simulation of a standard console controller. I played around 10 or so hours of BotW using the grip. I could finish the game like that if necessary.
Appreciate the review. Curious about this part. I found the 3DS (I have 3DS XL if that matters) to be terribly uncomfortable for prolonged play and had to get a soft plastic grip case in order to play it for longer than 30 minutes without horrible hand cramps. Did you experience anything like this? Is the switch similar in feel such that you think I might need something similar? That was a fine solution for the 3DS but for the switch it would be a pain to take it off to dock it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Conclusions

I was a bit apprehensive when we found out what the Switch was. The 3DS was my favorite system up until now and I felt like it still had room to run, even after nearly 6 years on the market. After playing the Switch though, I'm impressed with how big of an upgrade it is over the 3DS as a handheld. TV mode doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade over the Wii U, which will no doubt disappoint some people, but if you were happy enough with the power of the Wii U like me, or you're a lapsed Nintendo fan, you'll probably like it just fine.
I'm so excited for it! I wonder if it's in stock now, I will be picking one up this week if I can. I have a Wii which I thought was revolutionary but I thought the Wii U looked stupid and it seems the dev community agreed with me. This system seems to combine everything I want in the right way. I really hope it catches on.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
This system seems to combine everything I want in the right way. I really hope it catches on.
I think the switch is in a good position right now to breathe life into the stagnating handheld and tablet markets. A lot will depend on what Nintendo does to capitalize on the opportunity in the next year or two. Either that or some smart people figure out how to sideload android onto the thing
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM
SOA

Sold out everywhere! My local GameStop said they sold the last one this morning. I have all the sadness.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Appreciate the review. Curious about this part. I found the 3DS (I have 3DS XL if that matters) to be terribly uncomfortable for prolonged play and had to get a soft plastic grip case in order to play it for longer than 30 minutes without horrible hand cramps. Did you experience anything like this? Is the switch similar in feel such that you think I might need something similar? That was a fine solution for the 3DS but for the switch it would be a pain to take it off to dock it every time.
Hmm. If you had issues with the ergonomics of the 3DS then the Joycon may not do much to alleviate that. There is a slight curve at the top near the L&R buttons but other than that they're basically flat.

The joycon are a bit larger than the spot you grip on a 3DS though so that may help a bit.