Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Now that I have a car with an available data connection (if I pay for it) with wifi hotspot capability, I'm looking for a camera that can upload video to the cloud via wifi, so if a road rager or cop steals the camera I still have the video.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder View Post
Getting something that could auto-load to the cloud or YouTube would be fantastic.
After taking a look at what the data charges would be, auto-upload wouldn't be such a good idea. But it would be nice to have a dashcam that could upload the previous 30 seconds with the touch of a button, plus the next few minutes.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 08-07-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 PM
SOA AAA

Just get a terabyte drive and save directly to it. $50.
Can save hundreds of hours of 720p video to it.

Downside is that you'd probably want to have it on while the car is parked outside of the home, so need additional battery storage. My wife's car was bumped into while at the local mall, and no one left a note.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Just get a terabyte drive and save directly to it. $50.
Can save hundreds of hours of 720p video to it.
But it could cost of hundreds of dollars to run the wires to power it, given that it would have to be kept in a stealthy place.

I also don't want hundreds of hours to be stored, as some of it could be used against me. Imagine going to court to fight a ticket, presenting video on the hard drive as evidence in my defense, only to have them dig through the footage to find somewhere that I didn't come to a dead stop at a red light before turning right, or deduce that I was speeding based on the time elapsed between two intersections. Nope, I'm good with a half-hour of storage.

Quote:
Downside is that you'd probably want to have it on while the car is parked outside of the home, so need additional battery storage. My wife's car was bumped into while at the local mall, and no one left a note.
Some cameras have shock sensors to detect that and start recording. Obviously won't capture before the impact, but may get footage of the after as they're driving away.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM

I've had two dash cams over the years:

Mobius & Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

Mobius – Good quality video, has an internal battery, can be used as an action cam or webcam, no gps, cheaper than the Blackvue

Blackvue – Has front and back cameras, no internal battery, slightly worse quality video than the Mobius, has wifi but it shuts off after 10 minutes, has motion sensor and gps, expensive

Overall, I would go with the Blackvue again. I think the two camera setup and the gps are worth it.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
But it could cost of hundreds of dollars to run the wires to power it, given that it would have to be kept in a stealthy place.

I also don't want hundreds of hours to be stored, as some of it could be used against me. Imagine going to court to fight a ticket, presenting video on the hard drive as evidence in my defense, only to have them dig through the footage to find somewhere that I didn't come to a dead stop at a red light before turning right, or deduce that I was speeding based on the time elapsed between two intersections. Nope, I'm good with a half-hour of storage.

Some cameras have shock sensors to detect that and start recording. Obviously won't capture before the impact, but may get footage of the after as they're driving away.
OK, a 40gb flash drive.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter to charge the battery and saves 1, 2, or 5 minute clips, with storage for maybe a few hours. Also can record when it detects motion when parked, and has a play back screen. It looks like a rearview mirror. I'll try to find a link for it later.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
OK, a 40gb flash drive.
Storage space is not a problem. Many dashcams will take a 64GB or larger micro SD card.

The problem is securing the footage from road rage attackers and cops. I suppose a knife or gun would be useful against a road rager who breaks into the car, but I can't use that on a cop.