Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Don't make Bixby angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Old 08-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait for the new pixel.
There's an adapter for the head phone jack, right?
I have an s5 which has been fine until recently but the small memory is starting to be a problem and it's starting to slow down.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I don't think it is 100% confirmed there will be no headphone jack. That being said...

There are head phone jack USB-C dongles (including ones that split so you can listen and charge):
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=97FL4FNHEB5Z

There are USB-C headphones as well:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...b+c+headphones

Or there are some very reasonable Bluetooth headphones as well. I have these and like them very much:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headpho...anker+slimbuds
Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 AM

As circumstances had it, I was able to pick up a new s7 edge for $150 so I went with that.

Is it still recommended that you use a screen protector? My son says they aren't needed anymore. Do the tempered glass ones really offer that much protection for cracked screens?

Last edited by Cell Phone Junkie; 08-19-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Phone Junkie View Post
Is it still recommended that you use a screen protector? My son says they aren't needed anymore. Do the tempered glass ones really offer that much protection for cracked screens?
Definitely yes and definitely yes.

The screen on the S7 Edge is very fragile so you will want all the protection you can get. Your son and his friends apparently don't pay for their own screen replacement costs.

The tempered glass protectors are a piece of hardened (tempered) glass with a silicon backing that: #1 provides the adhesion to the phone and #2 gives some rubbery shock absorption against impacts.

As I've mentioned elsewhere (and maybe in this thread) I have a phone repair shop and I see about half as many damaged screens among tempered glass users as those who have naked screens. They aren't a panacea as they don't help with corner drops, but my brother in law sends me a picture about every 6 months of the latest tempered glass he pulled off his iPhone. So far 3 years, no actual screen damage in spite of multiple destroyed tempered glass protectors.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

My big draw to the S7 is that I have tiny hands and simply can't deal with this enormous phones people use these days. If I want a large-screen media experience I have a tablet and a laptop. Tablets are going out of style, probably because phones are becoming so huge.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Definitely yes and definitely yes.

The screen on the S7 Edge is very fragile so you will want all the protection you can get. Your son and his friends apparently don't pay for their own screen replacement costs.

The tempered glass protectors are a piece of hardened (tempered) glass with a silicon backing that: #1 provides the adhesion to the phone and #2 gives some rubbery shock absorption against impacts.

As I've mentioned elsewhere (and maybe in this thread) I have a phone repair shop and I see about half as many damaged screens among tempered glass users as those who have naked screens. They aren't a panacea as they don't help with corner drops, but my brother in law sends me a picture about every 6 months of the latest tempered glass he pulled off his iPhone. So far 3 years, no actual screen damage in spite of multiple destroyed tempered glass protectors.
Any recommendation for specific tempered glass screen protectors for the S8? Hermione and I both got new S8s in the last week and the screen protectors I bought are awful. They don't work as well as the screen protectors I've purchased for all of my other electronic gadgets. They are visible, the edges are rough and, most importantly, there seems to be a miniscule gap that kills the responsiveness of the touch screen.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

To the OP, I bought two S8's directly from Samsung because the price was the same as Verizon and they did not have the Verizon bloat ware. I never liked the larger screen on my Moto X, so I like the smaller screen size on the S8, and the waterproofing is a must for me (camping, backpacking, canoeing, running, etc.)
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-22-2017, 01:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
Any recommendation for specific tempered glass screen protectors for the S8? Hermione and I both got new S8s in the last week and the screen protectors I bought are awful. They don't work as well as the screen protectors I've purchased for all of my other electronic gadgets. They are visible, the edges are rough and, most importantly, there seems to be a miniscule gap that kills the responsiveness of the touch screen.
Did you get the tempered glass ones? Basically, it is a crapshoot on Amazon to get a good tempered glass protector. Most of them are random Chinese ones people buy in bulk and package and sell, so there is very little quality control.

Look here and cross your fingers:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tempered+glass