Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep
Default Speeding up Excel 2016?

Ugh, it's just so slow to do anything and everything, all these stupid lags to animate formula updates (which I don't want, and disabled, but the lags still seem to be there). Any thoughts on how to make this be faster?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Ugh, it's just so slow to do anything and everything, all these stupid lags to animate formula updates (which I don't want, and disabled, but the lags still seem to be there). Any thoughts on how to make this be faster?
Reduce vlookups if possible (like just leaving the formula in the first row). Reduce connections to other workbooks.

Orrrr get a nicer computer
Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Studying for Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Reduce vlookups if possible (like just leaving the formula in the first row). Reduce connections to other workbooks.

Orrrr get a nicer computer
I mean, sure, faster computer, but really, design the damn program to not take 5 times longer to do every damn little thing. How is this an upgrade? You know who needs fancy graphic animations in a spreadsheet? People who have no business using a spreadsheet, those people, so don't design a spreadsheet program for those people....
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
I mean, sure, faster computer, but really, design the damn program to not take 5 times longer to do every damn little thing. How is this an upgrade? You know who needs fancy graphic animations in a spreadsheet? People who have no business using a spreadsheet, those people, so don't design a spreadsheet program for those people....
If you took out the fancy formatting options of excel it'd lose much of what makes it useful. If you're happy to give up formatting to gain processing speed and the like you should use SAS/R/etc and then, if relevant, export any final tables to excel for beautifying before distributing.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
If you took out the fancy formatting options of excel it'd lose much of what makes it useful. If you're happy to give up formatting to gain processing speed and the like you should use SAS/R/etc and then, if relevant, export any final tables to excel for beautifying before distributing.
He's not talking about the formatting of the sheet itself, but the animations of the program itself. Excel 2016 is annoying.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
He's not talking about the formatting of the sheet itself, but the animations of the program itself. Excel 2016 is annoying.
How 'bout this?

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...0-22CEF9FA025A

It worked for me under Win7 + Office 2016.

Not sure if there are other fancy features that might be slowing down Excel, but animations are no longer there.

Good on ya for starting this thread anyway.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Studying for Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegol View Post
How 'bout this?

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...0-22CEF9FA025A

It worked for me under Win7 + Office 2016.

Not sure if there are other fancy features that might be slowing down Excel, but animations are no longer there.

Good on ya for starting this thread anyway.
Thanks, that was one of the first things I did, hated the animations. It seems to just be re-calculating things takes longer like it's somehow become less efficient with the upgrade.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
SOA

Has anyone noticed the new error messages?

"You made a mistake in your formula. Do you know what a formula is? A formula is a math thing that starts with an equal sign"

Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 PM
SOA

wow, I'm still dreading our "upgrade" to 2013.

2010 was the pinnacle of Office.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
wow, I'm still dreading our "upgrade" to 2013.

2010 was the pinnacle of Office.
I miss Excel 97. I was much more effective with PivotTables using that version. The versions since then have made it possible for folks who barely "get" Excel to create pretty-looking Pivots, but have made it tougher to do anything complex with one.