Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The May problem (deadline April 20)

IMPs, North-South vulnerable
AQJ65 A J53 KQ107
Code:
South West  North East
1S    2D    3D*   Double
?

* Limit raise or better

1A. In your preferred methods, if South wished to show the weakest possible hand he could hold on the auction, what call should he make?

1B. What is your call?

For 1A, I think 3S is the weakest.

For 1B, I'll bid 4C, which must show slam interest, and probably length. A harder question, that I don't have to answer, is what to do if he bids 4S. Is that follow-up hard enough that I should bid 3H now? Or pass now?

Come to think of it, must 4C now show slam interest? Or is it just helping partner decide what to do if they bid 5D over our 4S?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Default May problem?

On 1A I'm ambivalent as to whether Pass or 3S is weakest, prefer Pass but go with partners choice.
On 1B I also prefer 4C. If partner bids 4S I pass---if we miss slam cause I didn't cue my stiff, so be it, I've already gone out of my way to show extras with 4C bid.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Steve: I certainly do not think 4C "MUST" show slam interest, just help and directionality. If he has a slammish hand opposite extras, he will let you know. And I will whack 5D if I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
The May problem (deadline April 20)

IMPs, North-South vulnerable
AQJ65 A J53 KQ107
Code:
South West  North East
1S    2D    3D*   Double
?

* Limit raise or better

1A. In your preferred methods, if South wished to show the weakest possible hand he could hold on the auction, what call should he make?

1B. What is your call?

For 1A, I think 3S is the weakest.

For 1B, I'll bid 4C, which must show slam interest, and probably length. A harder question, that I don't have to answer, is what to do if he bids 4S. Is that follow-up hard enough that I should bid 3H now? Or pass now?

Come to think of it, must 4C now show slam interest? Or is it just helping partner decide what to do if they bid 5D over our 4S?
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

For 1A, 3S is definitely my choice for the weakest bid. If you pass, there is an implication that partner might still give you some information with say a 3H bid that could influence your decision.
For 1B, this sort of problem has been posed in MSC before, with the choice being between 3H as a cuebid, or 4C as a suit. The MSC team has routinely voted for showing the suit, and who am I to argue: 4C is my vote!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Problem 1A
Steve White: Three spades. We're forced to 3S, and just bidding it says I would not even be interested if partner made a below-3S sign of encouragement.

Problem 1B
Steve White: Four clubs. Show the chunky 4-card suit, just in case opponents sac over 4S.
Where I was likely heading on my own after adding that last question when I presented the problem.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:35 PM
SOA AAA

I submitted my answers this afternoon. 1A is definitely 3S. But for 1B, I decided on pass, with the idea that I'll keep bidding over partner's next bid. It will be useful to hear him sign off in 3S, for example, versus bidding 4S or even cuebid!

What I missed in my first reading is that RHO doubled partner's cue-bid. This gives me optimism that pard may have diamond shortness.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
I submitted my answers this afternoon. 1A is definitely 3S. But for 1B, I decided on pass, with the idea that I'll keep bidding over partner's next bid. It will be useful to hear him sign off in 3S, for example, versus bidding 4S or even cuebid!

What I missed in my first reading is that RHO doubled partner's cue-bid. This gives me optimism that pard may have diamond shortness.
I agree with NN. 3S is the weakest call. It says "please pass unless you are sure you want to keep going". Pass doesn't promise much more (not necessarily GF, does not create a force later) but can be much stronger. I care about controls and trump quality more than about clubs here, so I pass. If I had AQJxx -- xxx KJ98x or AQJxx -- xxxx KJ10x, I'd bid 4C.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All answers to 1A scored 10. Among the panelists, only 3S (9) and P(5) received votes.

1B was very close, with only 4C (5 panelist votes) scoring 90. P and 3H (4 votes each) scored 80.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The June problem wild guess:
Quote:
IMPs, both vulnerable
A53 AK76 AQ10643 --

[font=courier]
Code:
South  West   North  East
       2S     Double Pass
3S     Pass   4H     Pass
?
/font]
4NT = Roman Key-Card Blackwood for ♥
5♣,5♦ = Natural and slam-invitational
5NT = Agreement is pick-a-slam unless Grand Slam Force is obvious

1A. Do you agree with South's 3♠?

1B. What is your call?
For 1A, it seems obvious to agree with 3. What else could you consider?

For 1B, there may well be a grand, but it's far from certain, and conceivably 6 will go down. With no good way to investigate below 6, isn't the best move to bid 4NT? Especially since you don't have to commit to your follow-up. Most follow-ups won't even be very helpful. Over 5C you could ask for the trump Q, and might find he has it plus the diamond K and bid 7 (but more likely than the diamond K you would find he has the club K. Still, 6D over 6C should be a try for 7H.)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM
SOA AAA

Wow - this is tough. A 4S cuebid could be right, if it sets trumps. I don't think 5D is right- partner may pass. Same with 6C, which you'd like to be Exclusion, but won't be read that way. 5NT is a possibility, if partner will read it as choice of slams. If he bids 6C, then you bid 6D, which is then clearly a choice between 6D and 6H. 4NT is reasonable too, for the reasons Steve gives. You kind of hope partner bids 5C, as the path is clearer. Over 5D you would bid 5S, which presumably asks for the heart queen plus side kings. After all that, I guess I favor a 4S cuebid. Your goal will be to elicit a diamond cue at some point, but I don't see a clear path to the grand unless partner can bid 5NT (GSF) at some point. I'm not stopping short of 6H, in any event.