Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM
SOA

Default Digital recorders and microphones

I hate the sound from videos recorded on my iPhone, or my Canon T2i DSLR. So I recently purchased a Zoom H1. I've used it at home with the kids, and it's a definite improvement. I also used it last night at a men's singing quartet, and it was a good bit better than I expected! I bought a $20 lavalier external mic, too, which sounds pretty decent for isolating a single speaker.

So now I'm in the return period, and debating whether to keep this one, or upgrade.

I'm intrigued by the H2n. It has more mics than just the X/Y I've got on my H1. In fact, it can do X/Y, or this Side/Mid configuration that some people seem to love, and it can do 4 channel surround sound. Reviews online indicate the mics are better than on the H1.

Then there's the H4n Pro. This only has X/Y mics, but at least one online review seemed to sound a good bit better than the H2n. I'm not sure how much I care about surround. I like also that the H4n has XLR inputs, too, in case I ever decide to go down that route.

There are higher-end Zoom products that look very nice, but I think I'd feel silly spending more than the H4n Pro costs.

One very impressive video online indicated that Tascam has its advantages over the Zoom products, but said Tascam doesn't work as well with lavaliers and other mics that use a 3.5mm input.

I love sound, but I'm not sure just how much recording I'm going to do. My FIL is in that men's group, so I could do more recording of them. But one guy in the group already has a H2n. I'd like to do more video with phone or DSLR, mainly of family. I've done some "vlogging" in the past, of sorts, so it wouldn't be out of the question to do something like that again.

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Non-Actuary

go here
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuga View Post
Wow, that's a lot of information. Tons of models other than Zoom. A bit overwhelming.

Don't you know you're supposed to give me a highly opinionated answer, which other people can scoff at?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Non-Actuary

i made my decision based on opinions and price. i use an i-river ihp 120 (picked up used for $40) with a battery box and mics i made using primo em-68 elements. been using the i-river for almost ten years. the hard drive on the i-river was dying so i replaced it with an 8gb compactflash card, which made a hell of a difference in battery life. i also rockboxed it. i ran it for almost four hours for guns n roses with no issues.

i have no opinions on the newer recorders since i'm happy with what i use