Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
It does not seem to me it was a good idea for him to have created this thread in the first place.
Maybe, but seems like you can only say that after making the assumption that you know what his objective was.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

The whole ABCD process has been abused -- i.e., used in unintended ways -- so many times over the years that people really need to stand up and say, "Enough." It's not very satisfying to rely on the apathy and disinterest of most actuaries. The ABCD itself needs to say, at least occasionally if not more often, that a complaint is motivated by competitive considerations, actuarial politics, unrelated disagreements or whatever, and then dismiss the complaint entirely. That would have saved the profession untold time and money just over the past 10 years. Instead, they pretend -- yes, pretend -- that everything they do is very high-minded and serving our profession in the best possible manner. That seems ridiculous to me.

Bruce
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Maybe, but seems like you can only say that after making the assumption that you know what his objective was.
True.

Also, I think it's unlikely for prospective or current clients to find this thread, either.

Unless they google "Tim Sharpe actuary"

https://www.google.com/search?ei=FuK....0.cLZBP72y338

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
It does not seem to me it was a good idea for him to have created this thread in the first place.
I think only Sharpe's next steps could determine whether creating this thread was smart. Mr. Sharpe surely keeps a copy of work records, emails, and proceedings that he might want to publish. With that material, he might be able to publicize a concise, persuasive denouncement of the whole matter. Of course, this task would take him (or anyone) significant time and effort.

Filing Sharpe's lawsuit and bringing attention to the disciplinary process gave the ABCD's decision makers an incentive to stick to their guns. To anticipate the scenario where the court would rule in favor Mr. Sharpe, the ABCD preempted any effects of it by disciplining him. That's the ABCD's way of telling the court "look, this lawsuit is pointless because we certainly had grounds for what we've done".

If he's able to debunk the ABCD's alleged grounds for disciplining him, then he should take advantage of the attention he has already brought upon himself. But his focus should be on disproving the ABCD's alleged grounds, not on the hopeless issue of confidentiality (while the current ABCD bylaws persist) with which his attorney wasted Sharpe's "day in court".

Last edited by pragmatist; 02-25-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-25-2018, 01:57 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Well, I certainly would like to see more documentary info from Sharpe. I don't disagree there.

But my interest in seeing this is not necessarily aligned with Sharpe's own professional or personal interests. That's all I'm saying.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-26-2018, 11:54 AM
AAA

College: Michigan

In a nod to Pragmatist, it is time, actually it is past time, to set the record straight, but how to go about it remains unclear.

In a nod to Campbell, one of the objectives for airing my laundry here is to hopefully prevent this situation from happening to anyone else.

In a nod to Bruce, the disciplinary process is beyond corrupt, undoubtedly more so than most of you will ever imagine.

For those of you familiar with the rules of organizations, including disciplinary procedures, it is very difficult to challenge the procedures in a court of law, regardless of how bias, corrupt and unjust the procedures may be, because it may be deemed that participation in the organization is voluntary, like a county club, and that the member agrees to the rules and procedures by becoming a member. It is absurd, our "organization" is the Academy of Actuaries, not a country club. You and I and every other member should have an equal voice, yet you are kidding yourself if you believe that. Witness the recent developments in the closing of the AAA meetings.

Before I turn into Julian Assange and start releasing documents, and there are many, I need to consider the options for doing so. I guarantee you, you will be shocked by the actions of the ranking ABCD members and Academy members. The documents clearly show acts of collusion, perjury and cover up. The Academy's approach has been to use circular logic against me, i.e., "Since more than one complaint has been filed (omitting the fact that all of the complaints are baseless complaints submitted by close competitors), then I must be disciplined." However, there is a glaring, missing element in the disciplinary notice: There are no specific allegations! No specific material errors, no specific acts of negligence, just some simple vague, subjective references (and inaccurate!) to "skill and care, "sufficient clarity," etc. Some of the most glaring and shocking actions you will witness is the ABCD and Academy intentionally omitting and dismissing the material errors and false statements that were committed by these competitors that were uncovered during the process and covered up by the ABCD and the Academy.

The ABCD and the Academy doubled-down by increasing the rhetoric against me and leaking the allegations to the public, thus making it increasingly difficult for me to defend myself. But I have the documents. It is shocking, how one can be a Member of the Academy in good standing for over 30 years, and then to be subjected to such cruel, vengeful attacks. Of all their actions, the lengths they have gone to deceive the public and cover up their actions will shock you the most.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sharpe View Post
In a nod to Pragmatist, it is time, actually it is past time, to set the record straight, but how to go about it remains unclear.

In a nod to Campbell, one of the objectives for airing my laundry here is to hopefully prevent this situation from happening to anyone else.

In a nod to Bruce, the disciplinary process is beyond corrupt, undoubtedly more so than most of you will ever imagine.

For those of you familiar with the rules of organizations, including disciplinary procedures, it is very difficult to challenge the procedures in a court of law, regardless of how bias, corrupt and unjust the procedures may be, because it may be deemed that participation in the organization is voluntary, like a county club, and that the member agrees to the rules and procedures by becoming a member. It is absurd, our "organization" is the Academy of Actuaries, not a country club. You and I and every other member should have an equal voice, yet you are kidding yourself if you believe that. Witness the recent developments in the closing of the AAA meetings.

Before I turn into Julian Assange and start releasing documents, and there are many, I need to consider the options for doing so. I guarantee you, you will be shocked by the actions of the ranking ABCD members and Academy members. The documents clearly show acts of collusion, perjury and cover up. The Academy's approach has been to use circular logic against me, i.e., "Since more than one complaint has been filed (omitting the fact that all of the complaints are baseless complaints submitted by close competitors), then I must be disciplined." However, there is a glaring, missing element in the disciplinary notice: There are no specific allegations! No specific material errors, no specific acts of negligence, just some simple vague, subjective references (and inaccurate!) to "skill and care, "sufficient clarity," etc. Some of the most glaring and shocking actions you will witness is the ABCD and Academy intentionally omitting and dismissing the material errors and false statements that were committed by these competitors that were uncovered during the process and covered up by the ABCD and the Academy.

The ABCD and the Academy doubled-down by increasing the rhetoric against me and leaking the allegations to the public, thus making it increasingly difficult for me to defend myself. But I have the documents. It is shocking, how one can be a Member of the Academy in good standing for over 30 years, and then to be subjected to such cruel, vengeful attacks. Of all their actions, the lengths they have gone to deceive the public and cover up their actions will shock you the most.
can you comment on articles like these?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/b...on-crisis.html

can you please also comment on these quotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sharpe View Post
I have, however, been on the receiving end of a series of outrageous ABCD complaints by competing actuaries who I believe launched a campaign to steal my clients and destroy my practice by filing spurious charges with the ABCD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.soa.org/Library/Newsletters/In-Public-Interest/2014/july/ipi-2014-iss10.pdf
My motivation extended beyond general actuarial and societal concerns and included personal motivation. I am a participant in an Illinois public pension plan, the State Employees Retirement System (SERS). SERS is one of the most underfunded large public pension plans in the country.---Tia Goss Sawhney
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.soa.org/Library/Newsletters/In-Public-Interest/2014/july/ipi-2014-iss10.pdf
The other situation occurs when an actuary, who is otherwise competent, deliberately chooses to ignore a standard or selects a highly favorable interpretation of a standard in order to satisfy the political aims of his/her principal. Based on my review of pension work and from what I hear from pension actuaries, these may well be actuaries working for national firms and serving large public pension plans. I have heard the word “prostitute” used with respect to such actuaries. The mere perception that plan sponsors can buy a favorable actuarial analysis reflects poorly on all actuarie.---Tia Goss Sawhney

Last edited by Pension.Mathematics; 02-26-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Just thought I would chime in here. The opinions of Mr. Sharpe and Bruce on the ABCD notwithstanding, I have been involved in an ABCD complaint in the past, and have found the system to be very impartial, albeit very confidential.

My complaint involved a 5 month investigation, and it was ultimately dismissed. However, it was resolved to my satisfaction in a fair manner, in my humble opinion. I was kept informed of the progress of the investigation, without knowing the details, of course. I am a firm believer in being fully informed of, and following, the Code of Professional Conduct since we are a self-regulated profession. If we don't police ourselves very well, maybe we won't be able to keep the status quo.

I know it's a lot different when you are the subject of an investigation, rather than the complainant, and I was only involved in one case. But my experience was good, for what it's worth.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
Just thought I would chime in here. The opinions of Mr. Sharpe and Bruce on the ABCD notwithstanding, I have been involved in an ABCD complaint in the past, and have found the system to be very impartial, albeit very confidential.

My complaint involved a 5 month investigation, and it was ultimately dismissed. However, it was resolved to my satisfaction in a fair manner, in my humble opinion. I was kept informed of the progress of the investigation, without knowing the details, of course. I am a firm believer in being fully informed of, and following, the Code of Professional Conduct since we are a self-regulated profession. If we don't police ourselves very well, maybe we won't be able to keep the status quo.

I know it's a lot different when you are the subject of an investigation, rather than the complainant, and I was only involved in one case. But my experience was good, for what it's worth.
thanks, glad you posted that
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
I was kept informed of the progress of the investigation, without knowing the details, of course.
I think your "of course" is unwarranted, given this thread.

Tags
court of public opinion, discoverable evidence, oops too much information