Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General > CFA exam forum > CFA Exam I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveniamviam View Post
Thank you! I did the ERM exam Oct 31st, followed by CFA I on December 2nd and fortunately passed both.
Congrats! I'm attempting to do it again. I passed my 2nd FSA exam in November, just took my 3rd FSA exam last week, and this week I am starting to study for CFA Level II in June. I'll have about 7 weeks to prepare. Are you sitting for Level II this June?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for SDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Got_It View Post
Congrats! I'm attempting to do it again. I passed my 2nd FSA exam in November, just took my 3rd FSA exam last week, and this week I am starting to study for CFA Level II in June. I'll have about 7 weeks to prepare. Are you sitting for Level II this June?
I did sit for Level II, but I didn't take an FSA exam in the spring (overloaded at the office). I had a bit of "extra" time to study, about 6-7 weeks. I just wrapped up the three FSA mods (excluding DMAC) and am starting to study for a fall FSA exam now. Best of luck to you - we should get CFA2 results on August 14!

-----

ERM - CFEFD - CFESDM
Mods: ERM - Financial Modeling - Adv Topics in CFE - DMAC - FAC
Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
If you already have 4 years of investment experience or will have the experience by the time you finish the exams, the earliest you can get the designation is August 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
CFAI has some very specific rules about referencing participation in the CFA program. You'll see it in the ethics section in every level - and don't be surprised if it shows up as an exam Q!!!
I am not calling myself CFA yet, but I did hit the goal of getting all 3 as quickly as possible.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 08-20-2019, 04:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I am not calling myself CFA yet, but I did hit the goal of getting all 3 as quickly as possible.
Congrats! I passed L1 and L2 in December 2018 and June 2019, respectively. I think I put in less than 100 hrs for L1 and around 100 hrs for L2. What would you recommend for L3? I scored above 90th percentile for L1 and right in the middle of MPS and 90th for L2, which I feel is the perfect amount of studying.

The CFA exams are definitely easier but the testing day and environment for CFA is much more burdensome. Sitting there for that long is just a killer.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
Congrats! I passed L1 and L2 in December 2018 and June 2019, respectively. I think I put in less than 100 hrs for L1 and around 100 hrs for L2. What would you recommend for L3? I scored above 90th percentile for L1 and right in the middle of MPS and 90th for L2, which I feel is the perfect amount of studying.

The CFA exams are definitely easier but the testing day and environment for CFA is much more burdensome. Sitting there for that long is just a killer.
I should start by saying I am a pretty poor test takerstudier by actuarial standards. I failed actuarial exams a bunch of times. (Although I am an actuary, despite my profile saying otherwise.)

However, I think I had pretty similar results as you for L1 & L2 and estimate that I studied about the same amount for each (no clue how much I really studied because I didn't track the time). I think studied less for L3 primarily due to work constraints, but felt like the material was better suited to my knowledge base and/or interests. My ultimate score was far enough below the 90th that the top of the "confidence box" doesn't touch it, and falls just below the min passing score line. Based on that, I would say studying about the same amount is likely to be sufficient. Especially if you have already taken written answer exams.

From what I have read, most people seem to struggle with writing for 3 hours straight so need to simply practice that aspect. Personally, I didn't get around to taking a "real world" practice exam that included writing.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I should start by saying I am a pretty poor test takerstudier by actuarial standards. I failed actuarial exams a bunch of times. (Although I am an actuary, despite my profile saying otherwise.)

However, I think I had pretty similar results as you for L1 & L2 and estimate that I studied about the same amount for each (no clue how much I really studied because I didn't track the time). I think studied less for L3 primarily due to work constraints, but felt like the material was better suited to my knowledge base and/or interests. My ultimate score was far enough below the 90th that the top of the "confidence box" doesn't touch it, and falls just below the min passing score line. Based on that, I would say studying about the same amount is likely to be sufficient. Especially if you have already taken written answer exams.

From what I have read, most people seem to struggle with writing for 3 hours straight so need to simply practice that aspect. Personally, I didn't get around to taking a "real world" practice exam that included writing.
Cool, thanks for the kind words of advice.