Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old Today, 10:45 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

Going to be hard to figure out what to actually do on the exam since the sample project acknowledges that their sample didn't consider a 5 hour timeframe. I guess to start I'll just stick with one method per question and not calibrate parameters I don't need to (complexity parameter, mtry)?

Looks like the sample project must have taken 10-15 hours to do... dunno why they didn't provide a sample solution with exam conditions in mind alongside.
Old Today, 10:55 AM
SOA

Anyone is going to apply regularization technique in the 5-hour exam? Is it worth to go through material? It seems not practically use for short-term project.
Old Today, 12:08 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
Going to be hard to figure out what to actually do on the exam since the sample project acknowledges that their sample didn't consider a 5 hour timeframe. I guess to start I'll just stick with one method per question and not calibrate parameters I don't need to (complexity parameter, mtry)?

Looks like the sample project must have taken 10-15 hours to do... dunno why they didn't provide a sample solution with exam conditions in mind alongside.
I am even more hopeful after seeing the sample solution. They hardly provided details about why those chose methods and didn't provide much detail about their process. Basically it seems like you need to pick a few models that make sense and choose the one with the best statistic you used to compare the models.
Old Today, 06:29 PM
SOA

At this point, how much time does everyone think they'll spend on coding vs writing? Probably 2 hours coding, 3 hours writing for me, I suck at memo's.
Old Today, 10:07 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Is there an error on slide 91 of module 6? Should the alpha terms be switched around on the elastic net regression equation? In the RMD file, it says an alpha of 0 implies ridge regression and an alpha of 1 implies lasso. But if you plug in 0 for alpha in the equation on slide 91, you clearly get lasso regression and if you plug in 1 you get ridge regression. Am I missing something?
Old Today, 10:24 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
Is there an error on slide 91 of module 6? Should the alpha terms be switched around on the elastic net regression equation? In the RMD file, it says an alpha of 0 implies ridge regression and an alpha of 1 implies lasso. But if you plug in 0 for alpha in the equation on slide 91, you clearly get lasso regression and if you plug in 1 you get ridge regression. Am I missing something?
It is an error. It's corrected on slide 100.