Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Good companies have "upper management" seeking feedback from their direct report chain. So there shouldn't be a need to figure out how to pass feedback information up.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM
SOA

I've provided honest constructive criticism when I left my last two jobs that I held prior to the current one.

First job (medium-sized insurance company) I'm certain that precisely nothing came of it, despite multiple people having left similar feedback.

Second one, upper management was beginning to be aware that there might be some kind of problem with middle management that was causing all of the worker-bees to flee and big changes happened in the 9 months after I left.

In the second case, I think the sheer volume of employees quitting and getting fired got the situation onto people's radar. (Annual turnover rate was well over 100%.) And HR was *super* interested in what I had to say, more so than any other exit interview I've ever had. So perhaps what I had to say actually made some difference in that case. It was a pretty small company, and I think they tend to care why people leave more than big ones do.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Good companies have "upper management" seeking feedback from their direct report chain. So there shouldn't be a need to figure out how to pass feedback information up.
I'd think most companies think they have this.

I don't know if my experience is unusual, but most places I've worked at have had at least one MAJOR level of disconnect in the path, generally driven by one level that really doesn't want to hear any bad news, let alone accept it.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Senior management is usually somewhat opening to hear bad things about lower levels of management.

Senior management is usually not open to hear bad things about senior management, even though they may try to give the impression that they are.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

I had a boss once that I had to explicitly tell "I don't read minds. If there's something that happens in a senior staff meeting (our VP's direct reports and lead actuaries, which I wasn't) that I need to know to do my job, you have to tell me."

I ended up inviting myself to the staff meetings shortly thereafter.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

So, I guess it's like dating. By not answering their text messages you kind of just hope that they'll get the hint that you just aren't that into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Senior management is usually somewhat opening to hear bad things about lower levels of management.

Senior management is usually not open to hear bad things about senior management, even though they may try to give the impression that they are.
I would agree with that.

I've also made several suggestions about employee benefits at multiple companies I've been at over the years that I was pleasantly surprised to see management take up. Not the kind of stuff you'd leave a job over, mind you, but positive changes nonetheless.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
. . .
In the second case, I think the sheer volume of employees quitting and getting fired got the situation onto people's radar. (Annual turnover rate was well over 100%.) . . .
Holy crap.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:09 PM

I gave honest feedback when leaving one job due to a god-awful boss (not an actuary). He was told of my feedback and said some bad and not true crap about me after I was gone. I know because a friend shared an email he sent to a handful of people. I was honest because I was trying to help my coworkers on my way out the door.

After being trashed I felt it was a mistake, however about a year later the douche-bag boss was fired. I think upper management may have known he was a douche before I gave my feedback but I'd like to think I actually did help my former coworkers.

I knew I would never want to work with/for that douche again (or even go back to that company) so I wasn't too worried about burning bridges.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM
CAS

Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
I gave honest feedback when leaving one job due to a god-awful boss (not an actuary). He was told of my feedback and said some bad and not true crap about me after I was gone. I know because a friend shared an email he sent to a handful of people. I was honest because I was trying to help my coworkers on my way out the door.

After being trashed I felt it was a mistake, however about a year later the douche-bag boss was fired. I think upper management may have known he was a douche before I gave my feedback but I'd like to think I actually did help my former coworkers.

I knew I would never want to work with/for that douche again (or even go back to that company) so I wasn't too worried about burning bridges.
I'm in a similar situation now. What was the impact of him spreading bad rumors about you? Did it actually affect anyone else's opinion of you?