Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Holy crap.
Yeah, I was there for three years, but an awful lot of co-workers of mine quit or were fired after 3-6 months.

I actually think I was on the chopping block for a while when suddenly and very unexpectedly, mid-project, my great-grand-boss... not my boss or my grand-boss... called me into his office and announced that effective immediately I reported directly to him.

I think a friend of mine & I had both made a good impression on him and when my friend got fired it caught his attention. My suspicion is that I was about to get fired and he stopped and said "Wait, really? I want to see what you're (my then-boss) complaining about first-hand."

No confirmation on that, just some random comments he made over time, including things like "Wow, you've really proven yourself to me" as well as a lot of questions from him about how my recently-fired friend was doing. Other stuff too that each thing by itself wasn't much, but put together seemed like maybe that was what happened.

And I didn't actually leave because of the exceptionally crappy middle management (I left for unrelated personal reasons), but I did comment on it during my exit interview and mentioned that I was actively working with a recruiter when I'd been working under the crappy managers. Then when I got under my final boss, initial great-grand-boss, I told the recruiters to never mind, I was going to stay where I was.

Only two of my three years were under the crappy managers. The last year was under original-great-grand-boss who was a good guy.

Last edited by twig93; 10-20-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

That sounds like a company going down the tubes. Do they still exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
That sounds like a company going down the tubes. Do they still exist?
Yep, although I haven't checked their stock price recently!

They had a really good product, and the middle managers really knew the business and the products exceptionally well. They had been really good worker bees, but were horrible, terrible managers.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

When I quit my first firm, I kind of jokingly said that if there was anything I wanted to change, it would be the 70's style carpet walls. Within a couple years, they remodeled the place. I'm not sure if I was taken seriously - the decor was known to be outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo

If my manager was a good friend of mine then I might be very open with him/her and would try to offer constructive feedback before I go.

If it was the typical boss-worker relationship and we rarely chat outside of work, I would not provide anything other than positive feedback. It's not my job to help them figure out how to manage their people, and I risk being mad-mouthed to get nothing in return, not an ideal tradeoff imo.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 PM
SOA

Depends on the boss. If they can take criticism, then give it..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

My feeling is if you weren't comfortable enough to do it before you quit, don't do it after you quit.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM
CAS

My team actually has a fairly flat structure, and we all give 360-degree feedback quite often. So, I would end up meeting with my boss, my former boss, my matrix manager, their respective bosses, and perhaps one level higher.

For most of them, I would feel comfortable giving candid feedback. However, I can think of one or two people that probably won't need to hear my feedback, so I'd withhold it from them specifically.

Let's see how it goes... at this point, I feel that there has been enough candor on my team that I don't have to explicitly explain to anyone why I'm leaving.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbinnreine View Post
I'm in a similar situation now. What was the impact of him spreading bad rumors about you? Did it actually affect anyone else's opinion of you?
I guess I'll never know for sure but I don't think so. The people who actually knew me also knew what a douche he is/was so I'm sure it didn't impact them. If he said or sent something to anyone that didn't personally know me it could have impacted their opinion of me but as long as they considered the douchey source I don't think it's too big of a hit.

I am over 10 years past it and don't think it affected me at all. That doesn't mean there wasn't a risk of it biting me in the backside. Right after giving feedback I felt like I did the right thing... when I realized what the guy was saying about me I thought I screwed up being honest... now years later I'm back to thinking it wasn't a bad idea and might have actually helped my friends.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM
CAS

So here's what I've observed.

The managers who care to ask for feedback usually are not the same managers that might have prompted you to leave in the first place. So, I might not end up meeting with everyone, especially those who would benefit from the feedback the most.