Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4
Favorite beer: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Iím thinking about running a somewhat hilly race and am unsure of how to train for the downhills. Itís pancake flat where I live and while I can train for the uphills on a treadmill, the machines I have access to donít have negative inclines. I also donít have access to a parking garage or a multi-story building with long flights of stairs. Are there any exercises you can recommend that would mimic the eccentric contractions of running downhill?
you can modify this for your needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPTnbpRaAU

Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM
SOA

If you're running your first 10k, your first goal should be to finish the race. Don't worry about the time. Just run it the best you can. The next time you run your 10k, your goal should be to beat your personal record, imo.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
I’m thinking about running a somewhat hilly race and am unsure of how to train for the downhills. It’s pancake flat where I live and while I can train for the uphills on a treadmill, the machines I have access to don’t have negative inclines. I also don’t have access to a parking garage or a multi-story building with long flights of stairs. Are there any exercises you can recommend that would mimic the eccentric contractions of running downhill?
I live in a pretty flat neighborhood. What I do to train for hills is drive to one large hill and run up and down. It's boring but it gets the job done. An alternative is to go to a track and run the stairs.

Last edited by King of the North; 11-15-2017 at 01:04 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 12:47 PM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man

Treat the DH as a "rest". Thinking of this more maybe target your XX% of max HR? You are going faster at less effort.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:20 PM
SOA

Thanks for the suggestions, guys
@tommie frazer - nope, the treadmills are in the gym, so I can't tilt them (sorry, should have mentioned that)
@KotN - when I say it's pancake flat, I mean there are no hills an _any_ of the neighborhoods! Unfortunately I don't have access to a track either.
@T-roy - I guess I'm concerned that a longish downhill will trash my legs so that I struggle on the next uphill. Is that not really the case, if I take the downhill easy?
I have never run any significant amount of downhill so I don't know from experience but what I've read is that that you are both extending and contracting muscles at the same time, which is what "does the damage". That's what I'd like to train for, at least a bit.
I was hoping that in the absence of being able to actually run downhills that there might be some sort of leg exercise that could simulate this to some extent.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
If you're running your first 10k, your first goal should be to finish the race. Don't worry about the time. Just run it the best you can. The next time you run your 10k, your goal should be to beat your personal record, imo.
If this is directed at me, yes it is my first official 10K but I run at least that distance virtually every time I run. My usual morning is running 7 miles in about an hour. I have absolutely no concern about finishing the race since I have been running at least as far as 10K hundreds of times a year for years. I have never needed to stop prior to a 10K distance for any reason.

My time on an official 10K doesn't matter to anyone but me, I was just looking for advice and I think I'm good now. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM
SOA

Quote:
@T-roy - I guess I'm concerned that a longish downhill will trash my legs so that I struggle on the next uphill. Is that not really the case, if I take the downhill easy?
Well, now I am curious of these hills, both up and down. Also interested in your race distance, how many hills up and down and goal time. It is getting tough to answer your question without knowing some of these. Is this race a point-to point or do you finish where you started?

In my mind I think steep and distance of a hill are inversely related. If these hills are simply whoop-dee-doos (up and down like a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile) and you are doing several of them throughout a race I wouldn't worry about trashing my legs on the DH.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
Well, now I am curious of these hills, both up and down. Also interested in your race distance, how many hills up and down and goal time. It is getting tough to answer your question without knowing some of these. Is this race a point-to point or do you finish where you started?

In my mind I think steep and distance of a hill are inversely related. If these hills are simply whoop-dee-doos (up and down like a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile) and you are doing several of them throughout a race I wouldn't worry about trashing my legs on the DH.
+1 on the bolded.

If this is something like running down pikes peak, then yes you will need more downhill work to prep your legs.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM
SOA

The race is the Two Oceans Marathon in Cape Town, South Africa. Itís a 56km road race. The first half is fairly flat but soon after the half way mark there is steady 500ft climb which then drops back down 500ft and climbs back up 500ft. Iíve read the second climb is tough because itís around the 45km mark and soon after you have been running downhill. I donít know the gradients for the climbs or the long downhill (think itís around 3-4 degrees) itíll be the first time Iíve gone beyond standard marathon distance.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM
SOA

30 miles into a race with 5 more miles to go, running over an ant hill would piss me off.

You don't have to train for DH. This is more about nutrition and endourance. Sounds fun tho.