Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Default General Ideas: Running help

I have decided to incorporate running into my workout.

1) I found running is much harder than I expected I can run about 1 mile (10 minutes) and then I'm toast. [I could go pretty good at the stairmaster thingy 40 minutes 150 HR]

So I decided to do the following:
Run (10 min mile pace) 2 minutes then go 1 minute at a brisk walk. Intervaled for 30 minutes.
Question #1) Is this a good way to improve my running? I hope to move to 5 on 2 off soon then to 10 on 2 off, etc. Until I can run 3 miles.

Now I can aerobically make that (though it's a good workout), but I'm encountering a couple new problems
1) Shin splints (painfull but not enough to stop me)
2) the arches on my feet feel like they are being hit with a hammer when I run (not always but sometimes) this is painfull enough I have to stop.
- Just bought new running shoes and it is better but still a problem.

[Got called to a meeting will finish when I return]

He sucked all the enjoyment of visting this place out of me.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:15 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

interval work (what you ar edoing in #1) is excellent. a good way to get your body used to it. starting from no running is hard. very hard.

shin splints. stretach the lower leg. maybe ice after. they "should" gp away.

the new shoes could help this too, as the arch and lowe leg are connected.

as for the arch pain-make sure you are running in running shoes. they put all the cushion and support into going forward, like you do when running. don;t do anything other than running, walking, stairs, or (ok) exercise bike with them. no court stuff.

the shoes should feel good on your feet in the store. if that isn't enough time, take em home and wear em around the house for a few hourss to see how they feel then. if they bother you then, take em back. that's why you only wore them indoors.

i want so badly to get back to running, as timewise I find it the most efficient total workout I can do. (i mean calories/hr efficient)
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 PM

When I first started running, I had the same problem. I've never ran and have always played sports that required sprinting and stopping like tennis, squash, netball. So I got a trainer to write me a program.

3 minutes 4.0 on the treadmills
3 minutes 4.5
3 minutes 5.0
3 minutes 4.5
3 minutes 5.5
3 minutes 4.5
3 minutes 6.0
3 minutes 4.5
3 minutes 6.5
3 minutes 4.0

That's a 30 minutes work out and it should bring you to just under 2.5 miles. I am 5'5" so I can either do a brisk walk or a slow jog with 4.5, but the reason for that is to give you a break every 3 minutes without slowing down to just a walk or stopping. So maybe if it's too slow for you, you can up that speed a little bit?

I did that for a few months until I felt comfortable, then I increased the running pace. (8 months later, I am now doing 3 miles twice a week - I TRY to go to the gym 3 times a week but work + exam is just too busy - finishing at around 26 minutes 30 seconds. Not the best but I guess I improved.)
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM

as for shin splits - it could possibly be your pressure. Shin split should not usually happen on treadmills but maybe try a different machine? Or when you run, do you put a lot of stress on your feet or on your calves so you don't get heavy steps? Could that affect it? 'coz I realize when I run with a lighter step, I put more stress on my lower leg (round the calves and shins area) but not bad enough to give me shinsplits.

Also for running shoes, if there is a Marathon Sports closeby, definitely check them out. They look at the way you walk and decide on which shoes are best for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollywog
Also for running shoes, if there is a Marathon Sports closeby, definitely check them out. They look at the way you walk and decide on which shoes are best for you.
Any "running" store will do this.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

MN-I would go to marathon sports at 50th and penn, or else go to one of the "Gear" stores (one at like 44th and france).

either of those are certainly running stores. mall stores or big box sports retailers are not running stores.

once you get an idea of what shoe you might want, and it works, then you can return to running store to get it or shop for it at others 9if you wish). but talking to the geeks is a good idea.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier
MN-I would go to marathon sports at 50th and penn, or else go to one of the "Gear" stores (one at like 44th and france).

either of those are certainly running stores. mall stores or big box sports retailers are not running stores.

once you get an idea of what shoe you might want, and it works, then you can return to running store to get it or shop for it at others 9if you wish). but talking to the geeks is a good idea.
Ugh - I just bought a pair of Asics at Dick's Sports. Oh well.

Some treadmills are better than others, the one in my condo complex really hurts but the ones at Lifetime aren't to bad.

He sucked all the enjoyment of visting this place out of me.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Just remember, the first few weeks of running are rough for most people. Shin splints and general discomfort are to be expected unless you are pretty active in other sports. The key is to build up slowly enough that you won't quit. If you stick with it, you will probably be surprised how easy it is to improve after you reach a basic fitness level.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
CAS

Shin splints: go to a foot doctor and get custom orthotic insoles. I had them, after I started using these insoles, they went away. Warning--they're expensive, but well worth it. May be covered by your insurance.

Notes for Canadians: Most companies' supplementary insurance covers these.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

Or, abandon the running idea in favor of biking or something that will bring less punishment to your feet and legs.

Try swimming. I remember a week of lifeguarding training in Michigan. We swam a LOT in one week, and in 60 degree water. We all ate like horses, literally twice what was normal and I still dropped like 5 pounds that week. Granted you won't get those conditions at your local gym but swimming isn't going to give you shin splints either.