Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Strategic Decision Making
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-04-2019, 12:28 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing

I definitely agree the info was missing (and I wrote this in my answer on the exam too). Steve, is it best for me to email the SOA as well about this? How do you think we should handle?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:24 AM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaccamano View Post
I also emailed the soa to say I thought that was missing in the question stem. No idea what will come of it, but I wanted to do it with the exam fresh in my mind (sorry Steve Id already emailed them by the time I got yours).
Quote:
Originally Posted by inveniamviam View Post
I definitely agree the info was missing (and I wrote this in my answer on the exam too). Steve, is it best for me to email the SOA as well about this? How do you think we should handle?
I think it was good that "Bob" emailed them right away (mainly because I know he may be tied up in a week when the questions are published!) But also good for students to submit their concerns when they can see the exact question again (likely end of this week questions will be published).

Any question concerns must be submitted within two weeks of the exam date as per the SOA exam rules on defective questions.

I've heard from quite a few students and most are of the same opinion as you two - that AV was missing and was needed. And I also know you two were getting good at properly reading SDM-style questions.

However, I know of at least one student that thinks they "figured it out" (who carefully reviewed these sections in the source the day before the exam). That makes me lean a bit towards seeing the exact details of the question before giving my opinion.

I can/will review the question when it comes out (this week?) and send you two my opinion. Students could also take a fresh view at the question. Ultimately,it would need to be a student that would send an email to the SOA with a concern about the question.

It's good to be as clear as possible with concerns - because the graders will look at your specific concerns. For example, maybe you had a very valid (but different) interpretation of the question and then saw that information was missing for that interpretation. If you are clear on that, it can be considered in the grading process.

Again, I will review the question and give you my opinion - let's keep an eye out for the questions.

Here are the current SOA exam rules on defective questions:
Defective Questions ... Candidates who believe that a question is defective should send an email within two weeks of the date the exam was administered to Education@soa.org. This email should explain in detail why this question seems to be defective. The SOAs Education and Examination Committee will investigate all questions brought to its attention in this way, and may make allowances in the grading process, if appropriate.

XP premium package SDM pass rate in Spring 2019 was 91.7%!

Using anything less is clearly a very poor strategic decision
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-SteveScoles View Post
... let's keep an eye out for the questions.
Thanks Steve! I'll wait until questions are released.

Using information from a separate part of the question (the new OH variances that they provided once part of the OH was classified as fixed), I was able to back into what I think the AV must have been, and I noted on that on my paper too. I had decided one of the OH variances shouldn't have changed, even with the partial re-classification to fixed OH, so I backed into AV using that formula and noted why I thought that was the AV.

However, I haven't seen a question that requires you to work backwards in this way from a later part of the question (part c, for example, which comes with new information) and go back to your first answer (part a & b, for example) to "fix" it, so I still feel it's defective. But I will reserve judgment until I see the questions posted, as I know it'll be a different experience when I read it in non-exam conditions!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveniamviam View Post
Using information from a separate part of the question (the new OH variances that they provided once part of the OH was classified as fixed), I was able to back into what I think the AV must have been, and I noted on that on my paper too. I had decided one of the OH variances shouldn't have changed, even with the partial re-classification to fixed OH, so I backed into AV using that formula and noted why I thought that was the AV.

However, I haven't seen a question that requires you to work backwards in this way from a later part of the question (part c, for example, which comes with new information) and go back to your first answer (part a & b, for example) to "fix" it, so I still feel it's defective. But I will reserve judgment until I see the questions posted, as I know it'll be a different experience when I read it in non-exam conditions!
You shouldn't have to go backward (with later information) to solve a problem - if that was truly the case, then the question would be defective.

I'm now even more intrigued to see this question!

(I live and die these tough SDM questions with you folks)

Steve

Old 11-04-2019, 02:34 PM
SOA

I'm glad to see most people were just as confused about the OH question as I was.

What about the "task roles" question? The question said something like, "Here is what the VP of distribution thinks, here is what the VP of manufacturing thinks. What are each of their task roles?" Do you remember that wording from a reading?

Like I said, I just wrote their conflict responses (i.e. competing, advocating, collaborating, accommodating, etc.) My friend said he responded using the group types (i.e. management, advisory, project, etc.).
Old 11-04-2019, 03:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1313 View Post
What about the "task roles" question? The question said something like, "Here is what the VP of distribution thinks, here is what the VP of manufacturing thinks. What are each of their task roles?" Do you remember that wording from a reading?

Like I said, I just wrote their conflict responses (i.e. competing, advocating, collaborating, accommodating, etc.) My friend said he responded using the group types (i.e. management, advisory, project, etc.).
There was a table in Ch. 11 of OB - 11.3 on task roles -about the roles various team members play in the accomplishment of the teams tasks/goals. It was a small area in the OB readings. I don't think you would have got any marks with those answers. This was a tough question if you didn't know the detail of this topic

It's one of those topics that make doing a quick skim of some the source material (specifically for OB) in the final week that can help with filling in any weaknesses in knowledge.

Steve

Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM
SOA

Ahh, got it! Thanks for the quick, detailed response!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:05 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1313 View Post
What about the "task roles" question? The question said something like, "Here is what the VP of distribution thinks, here is what the VP of manufacturing thinks. What are each of their task roles?"
I remembered my notes said that there were task roles, but had no notes on what roles there were But it was just 1.5 point question luckily, I got 0 points on that (skipped it because I didn't recall offhand and didn't get to come back to it).
Old 11-04-2019, 05:29 PM
SOA

I definitely remember seeing task roles mentioned in the text, but did not memorize them well enough to get the full points there. I can’t even remember what I put there. Probably something spit out in my last 5 minutes to try and get some partial credit.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:40 PM
SOA

On the accounting question with the missing AV ... I was just looking at my notes and comments from last sitting and I see the SOA questions did not come out until 2 weeks and 1 day after the SDM exam (May 17th vs. exam day of May 2nd). It may be best to make a note on your concerns and be prepared to send it in before the questions come out - then you have it covered for the two week SOA deadline. It's still good to update it after the questions come out (and I will carefully scrutinize the question too), but to be on the safe side, you could send it in before hand to be sure it is considered.

One thing to be clear on is exactly how you interpreted the question. It's a 10+ times easier for the exam committee to adjust the grading outline to other valid interpretations than actually declare a question defective.

Steve