Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM
SOA

College: Sunway University, graduated
Angry Is it possible to get a job with my standard right now?

I am a Malaysian and had been unemployed for almost half year, I am currently 23 years old with only 2 papers passed which is P and FM. I got only second lower honors class for my degree in Actuarial Science. I attended few of the interview and never got accepted. Would finding job oversea be easier for me? i've had always wanted to work oversea. Lastly, is 23 years old person with only 2 papers passed considerd as slow? and is it possible to complete FSA by 30 years old?

Last edited by wengxing3142; 04-02-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Old 04-02-2020, 12:31 PM

A 23 year old with "only" P and FM can certainly be FSA by 30, if they apply themselves.

Unfortunately, I can't say much about Malaysia or about how difficult it is for a Malay to get a job overseas. This board is very US-centric, but we do get some foreigners and I hope you get some useful responses from them.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:48 AM
SOA

Default Reply to westly

Hi Westly, i am a chinese and thank you for your reply. i will continue to try my best to search for job and continue to pursue my FSA
Old 04-03-2020, 08:02 AM
SOA

Hi, in addition to asking here, you might want to look at this section for Asia specific employment discussion, or start a discussion of your own there.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...splay.php?f=97

I don't have specific suggestions, but keep in mind some of our general advice. Put yourself together as a whole package to employers. If you think your exams and grades aren't as good as your competition, what else can you bring? Are you an excellent (or pretty good) programmer? Are you easy to talk to in interviews? Such things would help in America, don't know about Asia.

And I've got to admit, as an American, I don't know how to interpret you saying "I am a Malaysian" and "I am a Chinese" Is one where you live and the other your heritage?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM
SOA

Thank you for the advice, i will take more time to expert my programming to compete.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 AM
CAS

23 and 2 exams is not a big deal, but finding a job internationally without some connection to that country (like going to school there) will be very difficult. In the US most companies prefer local candidates, and in fact, giving preference to American candidates is sometimes required by law.

Also, many companies will require very strong English language skills in the US.

Because most people in the US are unfamiliar with academic grading standards internationally, we have no idea what a second lower class honors degree is, so that actually should not hurt too much.

And of course, now will be a particularly hard time to job search given all the public health and economic uncertainty in the world.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM
SOA

Thank you for your reply, what you mean are absolutely true. i've applied to DW simpson and they told me that they rather get local under grad entry level instead of someone from other country. Yes the current situationis making the job searching worse but i will still try my best
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
And I've got to admit, as an American, I don't know how to interpret you saying "I am a Malaysian" and "I am a Chinese" Is one where you live and the other your heritage?
Malaysian is to Malay/Chinese/Indian as American is to White/Hispanic/Black/Asian.

To the OP, are you currently located in Malaysia? Where are you trying to find a job? I can only speak for the US market. To legally work in the US a company will have to sponsor your work visa. Due to the cost and bureaucracy, most companies prefer to hire citizens and permanent residents, who don't require visa sponsorship. It will be even more so during an economic downturn since companies will have less hiring needs.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 PM
SOA

Thank you chopin-lover, im trying to work somewhere outside of malaysia is fine as i would like to be independent and learn to finance myself. It is new to me that if i would to work in US required sponsor, thank you very much for your information. Hope you have a nice day!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengxing3142 View Post
Thank you chopin-lover, im trying to work somewhere outside of malaysia is fine as i would like to be independent and learn to finance myself. It is new to me that if i would to work in US required sponsor, thank you very much for your information. Hope you have a nice day!
If your goal is to work outside of Malaysia, then I would not recommend looking too closely at the US. I knew plenty of Malay students at the university I went to here in the US, and almost all of them did not end up getting an internship in the US, let alone a full time job - and these are people that had a year or more of experience living in the country, practicing their English daily, and having the opportunity to build connections at career fairs and other events.

Combined with what others have told you, I'd recommend avoiding trying too hard to get into the US market, unless that is your dream landing spot. Many companies (including mine) don't even look at applicants that require a sponsorship, the resume gets instantly tossed out.