Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-10-2015, 11:59 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The kind that isn't beer. You know that kind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
What kind of things did you *like* about math in general?

IMO, sabermetrics sounds fun.
I... don't know. I like that there's a correct answer. Or a series of correct answers, but a conclusion. That you went from start to finish and can look at what you just did and know it's right.

And it's fun. Is that weird? I really enjoyed the first 4 actuarial exams! I used to tutor a couple of friends in calculus in high school and was a TA in my FM graduate level course as an undergrad. It's something I've been good at my entire life.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
Computer Science has its share of crappy jobs too. Yes, it's high in demand, but some of the high-profile jobs in CS are way more stressful than actuarial, IME.

Also, I dare say that passing actuarial exams is not a good metric for assessing success in CS. Programming, IMO, is a lot more abstract than actuarial exam material.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_actuary View Post
Man, you have a lot of experience, but you also need to be good at selling yourself well. You have 7 exams and several years of experience. If you search senior actuarial jobs on indeed.com or glassdoor, you will see several pages of relevant jobs pop up.

Based on your senior level experience, have you done any achievements for your department most independently? Even you made some team work contribution, you would share these good points with interviewers.

But if you search for intermediate or lower level analyst positions, people would doubt your ability to do quality work since your experience level and exam progress should be good enough to be an actuary.

Do not sell yourself short.

Every time you get comfortable doing something, the bar gets raised. I know, that's life, but I'm okay with mediocrity. Although I guess I picked the wrong career to base my life on.

Yes, I worked on special projects. Yes, I coordinated with various departments on said projects. Yes, I took it upon myself to correct errors in the system to the chagrin of my departments.

But people keep looking at my qualifications and thinking I should BE at a senior level, but that's ridiculous.

If I choose a lower level job, won't they just think I'm incapable of doing the senior jobs I didn't apply for but that, given my experience on paper, I am perfectly capable of intermediate work?

I don't have any concept of my skill level because of how I've always been, exacerbated by some awful experiences on the job.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:17 AM
SOA

Oh and I don't want anyone to think that my "answers to everything" means I'm rejecting the ideas here. I have a habit of conveying that message. I'm simply elaborating on my concerns.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help on this and I will compile the responses and use it.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstrman View Post
I... don't know. I like that there's a correct answer. Or a series of correct answers, but a conclusion. That you went from start to finish and can look at what you just did and know it's right.

And it's fun. Is that weird? I really enjoyed the first 4 actuarial exams! I used to tutor a couple of friends in calculus in high school and was a TA in my FM graduate level course as an undergrad. It's something I've been good at my entire life.
Based on this, a lot of the corporate world won't be fun... where do you stand on teaching?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:26 AM

Get a job as a statistician at the BLS. The pay will be less but it will probably be less stressful
Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarying View Post
Get a job as a statistician at the BLS. The pay will be less but it will probably be less stressful
Hey there! You were the one who suggested this to me on another thread!

1) It's very difficult to search for jobs on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website. Can you guess why?
2) I didn't find anything upon looking. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 AM
SOA

I kind of enjoyed working in Closeouts and Terminal Funding. There was a streamlined process to it all, with some variables on occasion. A friend suggested to me that I work in Pensions for the city. I've currently applied to the one job I found and I'm waiting to see if my work gap will be overlooked.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM
SOA

Waoh this was some late-night posting.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 AM

http://www.bls.gov/jobs/searchjobs.htm#hiring

I've never applied here (being Canadian) so I don't really know how it works. Also if you cut that link at jobs there's presentations on pay, type of work ect.

Tags
careers, job search, unemployed