Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-03-2017, 12:42 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech
Default should you tell them the other companies you're interviewing for?

Back when I interviewed for entry level positions, one hiring manager asked me for the names of the other firms I was interviewing for and he wrote them down. I thought that was really weird but I didn't think there was any harm in giving that info so I did. Ended up not getting the position.

Is there any reason that could have disadvantaged me? I'm currently interviewing for several positions and I let them know that I am interviewing for several firms so they could get an idea on timing but didn't reveal them specifically.

Suppose I do reveal their names and they were competing firms. My guess is if I were the best candidate in the pool, they would feel urged to get me on board so the other firm doesn't. However if I were not the best candidate in the pool or they were deciding between me and one other person, would they would feel better about declining me since I have other similar options?

What are your thoughts on the last statement? Am I just thinking too hard and they wouldn't really consider it that way
Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It depends on the attitude you convey. If it's really obvious that you prefer those other companies, then that'll hurt you. But otherwise, most sane people would understand that you will be interviewing with other companies.

As an interviewer I think it'd be useful so I can gauge what the competition is and what offer it would take to win you over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:50 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

i treat every firm as if they were my top choice
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
i treat every firm as if they were my top choice
I think you'll be okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.