Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Strategic Decision Making
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 07-16-2019, 11:14 AM
SOA

College: UNC
Favorite beer: Bull Kelp ESB

Quick Q, the syllabus says we should use "The xVA Challenge" by Jon Gregory. My work's library has "Counterparty Credit Risk" by Jon Gregory, but the chapters look almost the same as what is listed in the syllabus. Can I use this text instead?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by math.math.math View Post
Quick Q, the syllabus says we should use "The xVA Challenge" by Jon Gregory. My work's library has "Counterparty Credit Risk" by Jon Gregory, but the chapters look almost the same as what is listed in the syllabus. Can I use this text instead?
Counterparty Credit Risk was the old version from Gregory that we used a couple sittings ago, while The XVA Challenge is the newest version with a snazzy new name. There is a rough translation between the two, and there is significant overlap; however, to give yourself the best chance at passing, I do suggest you get a hold of The XVA Challenge. They are different enough where an old version could cost you precious points.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2020

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by math.math.math View Post
I concur with Paul. There is lots of overlap with the old book, but the author really flipped paragraphs between different chapters in the new book and there are some new examples and diagrams that can be useful.

Steve

XP premium package SDM pass rate in Spring 2019 was 91.7%!

Using anything less is clearly a very poor strategic decision
Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM
SOA

Here are some tips for new students just starting out with the Organizational Behavior textbook in Objective 1 of the syllabus:

1) Just so you know, Organizational Behavior is only at the top of the list as the list is in alphabetical order, rather than in any suggested reading order or order of importance! The Strategic Management or the Objective 5 Bias readings can be a nice place to start if you like to mix things up.

2) However, many students do start with this book/chapter and ask me "Is the whole syllabus going to be like this??" No! this book is not the most well-written book, so don't worry that the whole syllabus is going to be like the reading at the start of the list! (there are a few more OB chapters later though)

3) while you don't need to start with the OB book Ch. 13, you should read/review it in conjunction with the Corning study note (SDM-180). There is an absolute treasure trove of connections you can make between these two readings that are screaming out for exam questions.

And given these two readings have never been tested on past SOA exams, making these connections and developing questions will be super-important!

(XP students, if you don't follow the forum regularly, don't worry! these tips and connections are included directly in each section of your study manual and videos ... so you don't need to go searching for them!)

Steve

Last edited by XP-SteveScoles; 07-16-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 PM
SOA

Thanks y'all! Time to start gathering all the materials. It's gonna be a right stack by the end of three of these exams...
Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 PM
SOA

I can confirm it is a huge stack on my third. I’d just like to say I’m happy that this thread already has more action than pretty much the entire Fall CFE thread. Should be getting into things in the coming weeks, I have to wait for a work to put in a group order for all the stuff and currently waiting on study notes. Doesn’t look like there’s any online readings to start with until then. I took a glance at the case study table of contents, are there significant similarities to the CFE case study?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaccamano View Post
I can confirm it is a huge stack on my third. I’d just like to say I’m happy that this thread already has more action than pretty much the entire Fall CFE thread. Should be getting into things in the coming weeks, I have to wait for a work to put in a group order for all the stuff and currently waiting on study notes. Doesn’t look like there’s any online readings to start with until then. I took a glance at the case study table of contents, are there significant similarities to the CFE case study?
I've always wanted to make a study of how different exams use different communication platforms over different sittings. One sitting, SDM is blowing up the PAK Forums, another sitting SDM students just want to email, and CFE seems to be the opposite. But I agree, I hope it keeps hopping here! More conversations and more discussions, no matter how they take place, help with knowledge formation and tend to increase the pass rate. So let's keep it going!

As for the CFE vs. SDM Case Study
: when this track was formed back in the dark ages, the two exams shared a case study, and you can still definitely see that shared DNA. However, SDM puts a MUCH greater focus* on the case study, and as such, the SDM case study has grown to be much larger. If you compare the two, SDM will be basically CFE with much more detail and more proposals and problems. You'll recognize the RPPC company and all the familiar subsidiaries, but you'll learn a lot more about them.

*When I say that SDM has a greater focus, I mean:
  1. The questions will much more explicitly reference parts of the Case Study. In CFE, it uses the Case Study as a kernel to grow a radically different question, but SDM more often will want us to directly address something raised by the Case Study.

2. The exam graders REALLY want you to make connections between the Case Study, the material, and the question. You will really need to point out specifically how the material works with the question, and how it pertains to the specific section of the Case Study that we are dealing with. In CFE, you can get away without a deep knowledge of the Case Study, but that is definitely not true in SDM.

**All that said, the SOA updates the case studies each sitting. There's a small chance that they will 'snap' them back together and we'll have a small, common case study. I doubt it, though - I think they will keep evolving apart.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2020

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaccamano View Post
Doesn’t look like there’s any online readings to start with until then.
Hey Bob, here is the list of all of the study notes that are online - they are almost all available on the internet if you want to start reading them ... the links are posted here:

13 of the 17 study notes are available!

Links to all available online readings: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=340708

Definitely don't need to wait until the SOA sends them to start reading them. For example, all of the Bias readings are online

Steve

Last edited by XP-SteveScoles; 07-16-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 PM
SOA

For the SDM case study, you should be picking it apart like your 11th grade English teacher would have you pick apart one of Shakespeare's plays!

... and I assure you it's no mid-summer night's dream

Steve

(Bob - see our sample video for an example of the kind of case study analysis that needs to be done for this exam)

Last edited by XP-SteveScoles; 07-16-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM
SOA

More more silly question for everyone. Do we print out a copy of the case study and take it in with us to the exam? Or do they give us a fresh copy? And if it's the first one, can we write on it?

Sorry for all these noob questions. My guess it that it is the second one, but the SOA doesn't seem to lay out the minutia of exam day very well...