Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post
I shouldn't really comment on CF since I didn't use it, but from what I recall those who did said CF was the best "learn the material" resource but left something to desire when it came to practice problems (can someone who used it confirm?). I can attest that RF has an amazing set of practice problems but doesn't go into much theory, so apparently it makes the perfect complement to CF.
Thanks appreciate the insight
Old 10-31-2019, 03:11 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Consider supplementing that with RF. I have always been a "TIA is enough" guy, but 7 was the one exam where I found I needed something to supplement it.

If this is your first go at 7, CF+RF might be the better choice because there's a package deal and they work well together. I only added RF on my second attempt because I still had TIA from the first attempt.
When you say you needed a TIA supplement, for what aspects? For learning the material or doing practice problems? In 5, 6, and 8 I've just been using TIA to learn everything and doing all the past exam problems for practice. In my opinion the most valuable thing about TIA is how they group the past exam problems by topic, so I can just keep doing actual exam problems until I'm comfortable with a given topic.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
When you say you needed a TIA supplement, for what aspects? For learning the material or doing practice problems? In 5, 6, and 8 I've just been using TIA to learn everything and doing all the past exam problems for practice. In my opinion the most valuable thing about TIA is how they group the past exam problems by topic, so I can just keep doing actual exam problems until I'm comfortable with a given topic.
Practice problems. The ones in TIA just didn't adequately prepare me for what I encountered on the exam, even when it included relevant prior exam problems. RF's original problems did a much better job with that. The actual learning part of TIA was fine IMO.

Disclaimer: my TIA-only attempt was the dreaded 2018 exam, so YMMV.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Practice problems. The ones in TIA just didn't adequately prepare me for what I encountered on the exam, even when it included relevant prior exam problems. RF's original problems did a much better job with that. The actual learning part of TIA was fine IMO.

Disclaimer: my TIA-only attempt was the dreaded 2018 exam, so YMMV.
Gotcha, yeah I honestly feel a little similar about 8 when I took it this sitting. TIA did a great job of teaching me the material, but the exam problems were quite different from past exams. However, I still think I was able to do well since I understood the underlying concepts well. I guess the CAS is trying to mix up their questions more and more so that you can't just know how to do past exam problems - you have to actually have a deep understanding of the material.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
Gotcha, yeah I honestly feel a little similar about 8 when I took it this sitting. TIA did a great job of teaching me the material, but the exam problems were quite different from past exams. However, I still think I was able to do well since I understood the underlying concepts well. I guess the CAS is trying to mix up their questions more and more so that you can't just know how to do past exam problems - you have to actually have a deep understanding of the material.
For comparison, for Exam 8 I used TIA as my only study guide and found it to be adequate on its own. The deficiency in practice problems for TIA was more noticeable with 7.

Disclaimer: I worked in reinsurance once upon a time, so the ass-pull questions from 8's section C didn't faze me as much as they did for the typical candidate.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
For comparison, for Exam 8 I used TIA as my only study guide and found it to be adequate on its own. The deficiency in practice problems for TIA was more noticeable with 7.

Disclaimer: I worked in reinsurance once upon a time, so the ass-pull questions from 8's section C didn't faze me as much as they did for the typical candidate.
From RF did you get the problem pack and the cookbook? I'm not sure I can convince my employer to get me both of those in addition to TIA. I still definitely want to do TIA for learning the material since it's worked so well for me so far.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:57 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Starting to study for an hour a day now after my 5 last sitting. After studying for 8 I have a much different perspective on the WC reserving section now! Last time I never really understood what the occurrence and aggregate charges meant
Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 PM
CAS

Hi again everybody. Starting up in a few days here. Still not fully recovered from Exam 8.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicallyAnActuary View Post
Hi again everybody. Starting up in a few days here. Still not fully recovered from Exam 8.
Same.

Is the 2020 syllabus out for this one?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

You guys planning on studying for almost 6 months for this thing? Do you not get much study time at work or something? 6 full months seems crazy.