Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #581  
Old 02-25-2020, 06:04 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
Finishing up Sahasrabuddhe today. I like this paper. Other than applying CY trend to cumulative losses (which is annoying), it's very intuitive and feels like there's not much to memorize. I'm gonna start on Marshall tomorrow... Not looking forward to that.
I'm finishing up Saha right now as well . I thought it was fairly intuitive last year as well, but I definitely got thrown for a loop on the exam. If I'm not fresh on it, I think my intuition will run in a few different ways.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:10 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,748
Default

Actually, one thing isn't make intuitive sense to me. When adjusting our triangles, why do we multiply by the last row in the new layer column? Why are we trying to bring the historical triangle to the level it would be at today? Intuitively I would think we would want to bring to the B level of the cell of interest.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 PM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 1,234
Default

Marshall

CF introduces two ways to calculate the risk margin, but it's not clear to me when to use which formula, although the first formula makes more sense to me...

Does anyone know the difference between the two?
Attached Images
 
__________________


ACAS 7 8 9

Last edited by trueblade; 02-25-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:43 PM
amp019372's Avatar
amp019372 amp019372 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Actually, one thing isn't make intuitive sense to me. When adjusting our triangles, why do we multiply by the last row in the new layer column? Why are we trying to bring the historical triangle to the level it would be at today? Intuitively I would think we would want to bring to the B level of the cell of interest.
I'm pretty sure that's just to account for trend and bring the triangle up to the level of the latest AY.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9



Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:52 PM
CasualFellow CasualFellow is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Marshall

CF introduces two ways to calculate the risk margin, but it's not clear to me when to use which formula, although the first formula makes more sense to me...

Does anyone know the difference between the two?
Hi trueblade,

Are you looking at the 2020 version of the study guide? Past versions of the guide had the second formula but the latest version has the first formula. I took a look at the Marshall outline and I only see the first formula. Is there a spot where they are both showing up that I might be missing?

Thanks!
__________________
Michael McPhail, FCAS, MAAA
A Casual Fellow's Exam Seminars
http://www.casualfellow.com
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:12 PM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFellow View Post
Hi trueblade,

Are you looking at the 2020 version of the study guide? Past versions of the guide had the second formula but the latest version has the first formula. I took a look at the Marshall outline and I only see the first formula. Is there a spot where they are both showing up that I might be missing?

Thanks!
Hi CF,

I was actually looking at the 2019 version and no wonder I saw both formulas. Thanks for your help.
__________________


ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Actuary_Zero's Avatar
Actuary_Zero Actuary_Zero is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for Exam 7
Posts: 226
Default

Hey,

What's your strategy for memorizing the tables from the papers? Sometimes I forget some of the numbers in the middle of the triangles.

Thanks,

-Zero
__________________
P&C Actuary

Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux
Posts: 43,225
Default

YOU GUYS GOT THIS
__________________

live laugh love
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 AM
amp019372's Avatar
amp019372 amp019372 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary_Zero View Post
Hey,

What's your strategy for memorizing the tables from the papers? Sometimes I forget some of the numbers in the middle of the triangles.

Thanks,

-Zero
Usually it's best to screenshot a different table from the source each day and make it your desktop background at work. Then do all your work on one monitor while staring at the other.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9



Reply With Quote
  #590  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 AM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux
Posts: 43,225
Default

I used to have framed headshots of each of the paper authors all over my desk when I studied. It works.
__________________

live laugh love
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.24709 seconds with 10 queries