Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-02-2020, 02:16 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentc View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...disease-2020-2
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...doctors-2020-2
when you say 'people who are otherwise healthy and in their 20s/30s have almost no chance of dying.', could you show data backing up the statement?
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Obviously I'm mostly joking around in saying I'd rather take the exam and get sick, but there is some truth in that.. I'd rather be awfully ill for 2 weeks and pass the exam this sitting than have to wait a full year to take it again.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:58 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

CF Patrik MP #3 Solution pg.182

Why does he use Earned Risk Pure Premium instead of Adjusted Premium in calculating SB ELR? Is Earned Risk Pure Premium the same thing as Adjusted Premium in this question?

Also in general, is it correct to say Adjusted risk pure premium = Adjusted premium = Onlevel premium in the context of Patrik?

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 03-02-2020, 09:16 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
CF Patrik MP #3 Solution pg.182

Why does he use Earned Risk Pure Premium instead of Adjusted Premium in calculating SB ELR? Is Earned Risk Pure Premium the same thing as Adjusted Premium in this question?

Also in general, is it correct to say Adjusted risk pure premium = Adjusted premium = Onlevel premium in the context of Patrik?
Yes, since the problem never comments on rate-level, the assumption is that the given premium has already been on-leveled. This problem is similar to 2012 #10.

Regarding your second question, I would just say that adjusted risk pure premium = adjusted premium in the context of Patrik. You are correct that the "adjusted" refers to on-leveling but remember that the premiums used in Patrik have reinsurance commissions, internal expenses, etc. netted out. So the term "onlevel premium" feels a bit too broad in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFellow View Post
Yes, since the problem never comments on rate-level, the assumption is that the given premium has already been on-leveled. This problem is similar to 2012 #10.

Regarding your second question, I would just say that adjusted risk pure premium = adjusted premium in the context of Patrik. You are correct that the "adjusted" refers to on-leveling but remember that the premiums used in Patrik have reinsurance commissions, internal expenses, etc. netted out. So the term "onlevel premium" feels a bit too broad in my opinion.
Thanks Michael for clearing that up. I just did 2012 #10 as well and I think I have a firm grasp of this type of question now.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 03-03-2020, 10:40 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

how do we reproduce the "implied development patterns" figure 5.9 in Shapland on page 38

nvm it's in the excel file

Last edited by AbedNadir; 03-03-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 PM
CAS AAA

College: Nebraska

This exam never ends!

Second pass through A, first pass through C. First day doing flashcards.

So

Much

Crap

To memorize!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerCAS View Post
This exam never ends!

Second pass through A, first pass through C. First day doing flashcards.

So

Much

Crap

To memorize!
Yep, just keep going through until you have it memorized.. I'm finishing up my second pass of Goldfarb tomorrow, then gonna actually try to learn the ERM stuff for the next couple weeks. I feel like I have a decent grasp on the loss reserving stuff now - I still have a lot of formulas to memorize and some things here and there, but I have a lot of it down.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:13 PM
CAS AAA

College: Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
Yep, just keep going through until you have it memorized.. I'm finishing up my second pass of Goldfarb tomorrow, then gonna actually try to learn the ERM stuff for the next couple weeks. I feel like I have a decent grasp on the loss reserving stuff now - I still have a lot of formulas to memorize and some things here and there, but I have a lot of it down.
I'm banking on the fact that I did the exams way out of order (this is my final exam!) and a lot of the ERM and accounting stuff is is in 8 & 9.

This is my seventh and final (because damn it, I'm not doing eight) attempt at a fellowship exam.

I worry that I'm spending so much time memorizing concepts and formulas that I'm losing out on time actually *practicing* the formulas. But it's March 3rd and I have plenty of time.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:51 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerCAS View Post
I'm banking on the fact that I did the exams way out of order (this is my final exam!) and a lot of the ERM and accounting stuff is is in 8 & 9.

This is my seventh and final (because damn it, I'm not doing eight) attempt at a fellowship exam.

I worry that I'm spending so much time memorizing concepts and formulas that I'm losing out on time actually *practicing* the formulas. But it's March 3rd and I have plenty of time.
There's still plenty of time left. Just keep pushing.

Finished goldfarb and starting on Brehm now

Old 03-04-2020, 08:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Obviously I'm mostly joking around in saying I'd rather take the exam and get sick, but there is some truth in that.. I'd rather be awfully ill for 2 weeks and pass the exam this sitting than have to wait a full year to take it again.