Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:17 PM

I look forward to when he moves this to Reddit.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Non-Actuary

College: School of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
No one requires that person's 'special' interpretation of any text by someone communicating on behalf of IFoA or any other qualifications body. If Patty doesn't want his/her nonsense scrutinised then don't post on a forum.
Speaking of not wanting nonsense scrutinised, you should have taken your own advice before posting.

However, even though I don't have any real stake in this topic (I'm no longer an actuary), I will offer unsolicited advice.

1) You're going about this all wrong. Rather than posting your own rants to the anonymous message board about the wrongs of the system, you should be trying to effect change in that system.

2) You'll do that by appealing to the IFoA directly and not via some backhanded passive-aggressive posting campaign.

2a-Evidence) I did this back in about 2005-2006 (can't remember exactly).

2b-Evidence) I noticed that the SOA had transition rules from one kind of educational component (a Professional Development project) to another kind of educational component (written exams). I felt that the transition rules were disadvantaging some candidates and did not allow for adequate transition of others who were just as deserving.

2c-Evidence) I wrote a petition, circulated it among similar-status candidates, and solicited signatories. I had over 200 names included when I delivered that to the Education Committee of the Society of Actuaries.

2d-Evidence) The EC considered the proposal and adjusted the transition rules to something we petitioners agreed was more fair. It was not all that we asked for, but it was much better than if we had not asked.

3) You need to start barking up the right tree, my friend. Right now you're not going to get any kind of traction just complaining on the AO (or even on the Acted board). You need to actually do something, rather than just whine about the problem. When you are actually attempting to enact change, I believe you'll see much more sympathy with your cause. Until then, you'll get the snark and incredulity you've already experienced in this thread.

Good luck. [whisper]You're gonna need it.[/whisper]

Tags
criticism, curriculum, exams, ifoa, transition