Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
In my experience, extracurricular activities don't really matter unless it's something really impressive, like Rhodes Scholar, Math Olympiad, Putnam, Heisman, etc.

Otherwise it's just your standard club/frat activities which just gives the impression, "oh ok, this kid is just like your ordinary college kid."

What did you do in your free time? I don't think you should be ashamed of your answer (unless you did nothing but loaf around). If you did nothing but study math, tell them that you studied math all day because you found it interesting and meaningful, or something like that.
How is being a Rhodes Scholar an extracurricular activity and why would a Heisman trophy winner apply for an actuarial job or any day job?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

Man, you guys got trolled so hard.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
How do you get a personality?
I recommend that you pick a weekend, find a friend who is at least somewhat extroverted, and go drink heavily. Both nights. If you don't drink for some kind of weird moral reason, drink Dr. Pepper (or RC Cola, whatever floats your boat) until you feel woozy.
Unless you are a naturally extroverted person I think a lot of people learn how to socialize and interact with others when they start drinking in college, and that carries over into your normal personality eventually. You definitely will not learn that by studying/reading how to be social or have a personality.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 764dak View Post
How is being a Rhodes Scholar an extracurricular activity and why would a Heisman trophy winner apply for an actuarial job or any day job?
My bad, in my resume I kind of just lumped extracurriculars and awards in one section (no longer on my resume since I'm already EL). But my point is that extracurriculars don't really matter unless the interviewer also has a similar interest or if you did something extraordinary (and recognizable to the average person) through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Man, you guys got trolled so hard.
I am not a troll.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetie Skunk View Post
Things like video games, drinking, and sports aren't what you would think about talking about in an interview, but if you can put a spin on it and somehow identify with the interviewer, showing them you actually have a personality, it will work for you.
I think I see the flaw in the OP implementing this plan.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kade View Post
I think I see the flaw in the OP implementing this plan.
I think too many people are looking to be friends with coworkers. As long as OP does his job and does it well, what's the big deal?

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I didn't do anything interesting. I lived at home and mostly just studied, watched tv, and read the newspaper.
Did you not have friends in college?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Did you not have friends in college?
I know a lot of people (typically working class) who pretty much only went to college for classes (they commuted to school ~30 min). They spent the rest of their time working their jobs or studying at home. I think the recruiting system works against them, imo.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I think too many people are looking to be friends with coworkers. As long as OP does his job and does it well, what's the big deal?
It's not so much about being friends with coworkers as being relatively sure you'd like to be around them for 40 hours a week. There are only 168 hours in a week, and you're going to spend nearly a quarter of them with your coworkers. So you don't have to be best friends, but liking each other makes things better, especially during the trying times. When some massive deadline is looming and people are stressed, being around people that can break tension or elicit a smile or a laugh can make the difference between it being a miserable experience and it being tolerable.