Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

You troll so hard you accidentally all over it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
You troll so hard you accidentally all over it.
First of all, I am not a troll. When I re-read some of my older posts, I can sense how you would think I am one. But yes, my situation/personality is really that pathetic that you would think I am a troll.

With regards to the opening at my current company, it is not an actuarial position, it is the same position I am doing, only permanent/full time. And I don't really like it at all. It is pretty much all data entry and at times you are just entering information for 40-60 minutes straight with no thinking at all.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
With regards to the opening at my current company, it is not an actuarial position, it is the same position I am doing, only permanent/full time. And I don't really like it at all. It is pretty much all data entry and at times you are just entering information for 40-60 minutes straight with no thinking at all.
wtf are u doing?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
First of all, I am not a troll. When I re-read some of my older posts, I can sense how you would think I am one. But yes, my situation/personality is really that pathetic that you would think I am a troll.

It sounds like you are perfect fit for the job since you don't have any extra activities. It is good for people like you who would just sit down and do work.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Why is there so much focus on extracurricular activities? It is the easiest thing to lie about on a resume and in an interview, and is least relevant to the job out of everything. It's silly to ask a candidate to stop their professional development and not take exams, and instead to join the Actuarial Knitting Club just so they can put on their resume that they did something like that.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying

only person in this thread who appears to be advocating that is the op
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessFor2011 View Post
Why is there so much focus on extracurricular activities? It is the easiest thing to lie about on a resume and in an interview, and is least relevant to the job out of everything. It's silly to ask a candidate to stop their professional development and not take exams, and instead to join the Actuarial Knitting Club just so they can put on their resume that they did something like that.
Well then how come they ask the question?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
SOA

College: Mephitis State University
Favorite beer: Saison Dupont

I don't know why they are asking this question anyway. You sound like an experienced candidate. Just use up the entire interview talking about what you have achieved at your past job and what you can accomplish at the new one.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Several people already told you why they ask the question...are you also not able to hold a linear conversation during an interview?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
You claimed you don't talk about your piano and working out because you aren't great at them and/or don't want to show insecurity behind the reason you take on the activity.

Does that mean every actuary has to be great at some extracurricular activity to get hired? If I volunteer within my community regularly, but not frequently enough, should I never bring it up because it's not hardcore enough? Does being excellent at an extracurricular activity that has nothing to do with the industry make you a better actuary?

Interviewers ask the question to 1. break the ice and 2. learn more about you. Learning about you as a person doesn't require being impressed by previous accomplishments.. just because you are not active doesn't mean employers will stay away. What's more important is personality, work ethics, and attitude. Being self-conscious and avoiding topics because of insecurities (when there shouldn't be any) shows a riskier personality than not having too many hobbies besides reading the news. An employer is missing out on a lot of great employees if he/she dismiss them just because they are more of a quiet type.

Not to sound harsh but this is a stupid excuse to think you're not getting hired. As others have said you need better interviewing skills.