Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 8 - Advanced Ratemaking
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

damn, back to this exam 8 game again. I can't for the life of me figure out how to pass this exam (got two 5s in a row for this exam). I used TIA & RF in the past, also read all the source material, but the questions on this exam are tricky af...

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 05-08-2019, 06:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
damn, back to this exam 8 game again. I can't for the life of me figure out how to pass this exam (got two 5s in a row for this exam). I used TIA & RF in the past, also read all the source material, but the questions on this exam are tricky af...
You got this trueblade
Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
You got this trueblade
Thanks!!!

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

In for this, gonna definitely use Mahler as I've gotten 2 10s with his study guides. Not a huge fan of TIA or Josh but might get it to get some additional problems, he had good problems for 5 atleast.

Planning to read the source a couple times first though. Does this exam really take 300-400 hrs? It seems like so much less material compared to 7. Was wondering what people have found difficult with this one, computational stuff or theoretical stuff?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
In for this, gonna definitely use Mahler as I've gotten 2 10s with his study guides. Not a huge fan of TIA or Josh but might get it to get some additional problems, he had good problems for 5 atleast.

Planning to read the source a couple times first though. Does this exam really take 300-400 hrs? It seems like so much less material compared to 7. Was wondering what people have found difficult with this one, computational stuff or theoretical stuff?
For what it's worth, I spent a ~ 10-20% more time on 7 and felt much more comfortable leaving 7 than 8. 7 seems a lot more predictable on what types of questions will be asked (and it seems to be they're just worded differently), where 8 has a wider amount of questions, but less depth in each.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 PM
CAS

Quote:

Definitely took less time on this than 9 (even on my first sitting, which I failed for 9). Understand that you will add time if you dwell on the sources. Not that Iím advocating you skip them, I read several of them once (a few a couple times to see what holes Josh mightíve had). But there are several papers that have a bunch of theory to jump through that isnít really tested as much as being able to solve problems.

Also FWIW, I didnít really like Joshís teaching style on the pricing in Exam 5, but he is substantially better for 8 IMO. And as you mentioned having problems, I thought his practice problems for the GLM section weíre outstanding and helped me master the paper. He had around 30-40 original problems IIRC.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb7894 View Post
For what it's worth, I spent a ~ 10-20% more time on 7 and felt much more comfortable leaving 7 than 8. 7 seems a lot more predictable on what types of questions will be asked (and it seems to be they're just worded differently), where 8 has a wider amount of questions, but less depth in each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
Definitely took less time on this than 9 (even on my first sitting, which I failed for 9). Understand that you will add time if you dwell on the sources. Not that I’m advocating you skip them, I read several of them once (a few a couple times to see what holes Josh might’ve had). But there are several papers that have a bunch of theory to jump through that isn’t really tested as much as being able to solve problems.

Also FWIW, I didn’t really like Josh’s teaching style on the pricing in Exam 5, but he is substantially better for 8 IMO. And as you mentioned having problems, I thought his practice problems for the GLM section we’re outstanding and helped me master the paper. He had around 30-40 original problems IIRC.
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like Mahler+TIA is the way to go then. As for the depth on questions on 8, does that mean it's less process oriented? Like for 7, I felt like each question type had a process to follow that somewhat made sense. Is this more like C in just knowing random distributions and formulas to get what they want you to get?
Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

I just took 7 with you, and I passed 8 last sitting so I'll give my two cents.
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like Mahler+TIA is the way to go then. As for the depth on questions on 8, does that mean it's less process oriented? Like for 7, I felt like each question type had a process to follow that somewhat made sense. Is this more like C in just knowing random distributions and formulas to get what they want you to get?
7 has more process-oriented problems I'd say but 8 still has some. I used TIA exclusively until I got a 2017 version of the RF Cookbook like 2 weeks til test day, which I think was very helpful. The Cookbook for 8 is like half the size of the Cookbook for 7 if that gives you a better idea. I've never used Mahler so no opinion there.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
When will Mahler be available? I think I am going to go that route as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic Ace View Post
When will Mahler be available? I think I am going to go that route as well.
It's available now

Tags
top5alwayspass