Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA

College: SUNY Empire State College
Default eXam P (July 2019)

Hello All,

This is my very first post in the outpost!

I will be taking Exam P on July 27, 2019. I started my studies in early May.

I am curious to know about what you all think about my study process. First off, I am using multiple sources to help me prepare for the exam. I am using the ASM study manual, TIA, and a Actuarial tutoring service.

Background: As of a few days ago I just finished up my 4 year degree at my local university. My degree is in SMT with a concentration in mathematics. Some of the courses I took were Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Intro to Stats, and Advanced Probability/Stats (along with others that are not relevant towards this exam).

When I started the study process my main source was TIA. I would watch each video in the section and follow that up by doing the questions associated with that section. I would do all of the questions I could do without help and would then finish the section by watching the video solutions to help assist me with working the problems I could not figure out. I was averaging about 45-50% correct per section by using this method.

Lately I have decided to take a different approach. As of last week I have started to only watch the videos on TIA while taking notes. I will review my notes during the next day during work before moving to the next section in the evening. I am working with my tutor to help grasp the conceptual aspect of the material (I do not want to memorize). I am always ahead of the tutor. I want to introduce myself to the material and become familiar with it before he helps solidify it for me. I plan to have the TIA modules completed by June 27. This will give me a full month of working problems. I want to use the first 15 days out of the 30 to work SOA 153, ASM Practice Exams, and TIA Practice Exams. Once I complete those I want to use ADAPT for the remaining 14 days to achieve my earned level and see where I stand.

Side notes;
I am studying 6 days a week around 4-6 hours per day. On the 7th day, which is my Sunday, I work around 8-10 hours and then would usually do my undergrad work as quickly as possible and would then possibly do a little review of the exam material (about an hours worth).

I have read in other posts that some would say that if you need a tutor then this is not for you. I would like to rebut by saying that I worked in the educational system while I was in college and have learned that the way everyone learns is different. Some people are able to read the ASM manual and have a full understanding after one go while others will read it 5x before catching on. Although the tutor may not be necessary I see it as a great benefit and is definitely helping me. Teaching yourself and being taught are two different animals. I want to make sure that I am giving this exam my all whether it is financial and/or time.

If you think I do not have enough time to complete my explained goals in the time frame please let me know. Or if you have any additional tips to add or modify it would be greatly appreciated. I trust in all of your opinions and expertise knowing that you were once in my shoes.

Thank you all!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:14 PM
CAS SOA CCA

College: Alumni

All the Best. Please share your experience with us after your exam. If possible questions too