Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Just finished watching Departures, two guys (and their friend a camera man) travel the world for three years, make a show, and likely made a bunch of money doing it.

Pretty jealous of those guys.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
I find ways to do cool stuff for lower budget. For example, a coworker was going to Norwegian islands to see polar bears. Cheapest trip was over $5K with airfare. I found a way to see polar bears for about $1K.
You went to Churchill?

ETA: Just read more of the thread. Churchill indeed!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
You went to Churchill?

ETA: Just read more of the thread. Churchill indeed!
Yep... If you go in late August you have the best chance to see all three local sights if you're lucky: polar bears, northern lights & beluga whales. I was lucky

October/November is the time to go for bears but the whales are long gone by then. And everything is top dollar so you can expect to spend $3000+.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Just finished watching Departures, two guys (and their friend a camera man) travel the world for three years, make a show, and likely made a bunch of money doing it.

I wish I had the looks and personality to do something like that.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Yep... If you go in late August you have the best chance to see all three local sights if you're lucky: polar bears, northern lights & beluga whales. I was lucky

October/November is the time to go for bears but the whales are long gone by then. And everything is top dollar so you can expect to spend $3000+.
When I left the frozen north, I didn't realize how much I would miss the northern lights. The sky is kind of boring down south.

Cool blog btw.

Last edited by nonlnear; 04-11-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post

Those guys went bloody everywhere!!! And the dark-haired guy did a scuba series too!!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Those guys went bloody everywhere!!! And the dark-haired guy did a scuba series too!!
I would so like to scuba but I've had a couple scary things happen while swimming so I'll have to stick to the snorkel.

Here are some stranger things I've snorkeled with:

* Sharks (Galapagos & other places, stories to be added later)
* Salmon, Seals, and Bears https://thehotflashpacker.com/snorkeling-with-salmon/
* Beluga Whales https://thehotflashpacker.com/churchill-manitoba/
* Manatees (Florida, story added later)
* Jellyfish in Palau https://thehotflashpacker.com/snorke...ith-jellyfish/
* Whalesharks https://thehotflashpacker.com/mad-ab...ation-omadhoo/
* Manta Rays https://thehotflashpacker.com/destination-dharavandhoo/
Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Breakfast Stouts
Canada

Quote:
Dear Actuaries,

Iíve had a lifelong love of travel and have visited over 80 countries. I love sharing my pictures, stories, and advice with others so after years of dreaming about it, finally started my own travel blog. My travel leans towards the more adventurous and less usual destinations. Trips are low to mid budget and I will be sharing advice on how to save money.

Iíd like to ask a small favor to the actuaries that like to travel. Iím going to a travel blogger convention in May and Iím hoping to have at least 100 blog subscribers by that time. If you like travel and wouldnít mind getting an e-mail reminder 1-2 times a week when a new post is uploaded, would you consider subscribing to my blog? You can subscribe by entering your e-mail in the upper right and hit the pink subscribe button. Youíll then need to confirm your subscription when they send a test e-mail to your inbox.
Happy to subscribe to your blog to help you make your target.

Although I have traveled to a similar number of countries as yourself, the bulk of my travel was pre-worldwide web and pre-digital cameras. I have few photographs from my early travels so I greatly enjoy viewing the photos and stories of other travellers to remind me of these destinations.

One continent where I visited many countries was Africa which your blog seems light on? Happy to share Africa tips with you at a future date.

Even though I have been retired for almost 10 years, I still enjoy travelling independently to exotic locations. Hope to find my next destination on your blog.

Happy travels.

Alan
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
Happy to subscribe to your blog to help you make your target.

Although I have traveled to a similar number of countries as yourself, the bulk of my travel was pre-worldwide web and pre-digital cameras. I have few photographs from my early travels so I greatly enjoy viewing the photos and stories of other travellers to remind me of these destinations.

One continent where I visited many countries was Africa which your blog seems light on? Happy to share Africa tips with you at a future date.

Even though I have been retired for almost 10 years, I still enjoy travelling independently to exotic locations. Hope to find my next destination on your blog.

Happy travels.

Alan

Alan, thanks for your message. I spent quite a bit of time in Africa 13 and 15 years ago (3 weeks in Egypt on one trip and 3.5 months in east & southern Africa). Just haven't had a chance to upload any pictures yet

I'm thinking about doing this trip down the west coast when I finally retire. Of course, the plan would then be to spend some time in South Africa, Lesotho, Madagascar and then maybe Ethiopia:
http://www.oasisoverland.co.uk/trips...ns-Africa.html

They do one trip that is 2x this one in length, but 10 of the weeks is backtracking a trip I've already done (Cape Town to Nairobi via Rwanda gorilla trekking).
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM

I did some heavy recruiting last night and got the # of subscribers up to 80. Woot, Woot!

Today's theme is incredibly beautiful landscapes with virtually 0 tourists around.

Northern Tibet was great. We bush camped at over 15,000 feet elevation.
https://thehotflashpacker.com/northern-tibet/

I had dreams of visiting the Gobi desert for many years. Even though it's one of the top tourist destinations in Mongolia, we saw fewer than 20 other tourists in each day of our 7 day trip in a russian jeep.
https://thehotflashpacker.com/gobi-d...trip-mongolia/

Western Kyrgyzstan isn't known to be a tourist destination. We had a 2 day drive from the capital to the western border with Uzbekistan and there were amazing views along the way. One night we bush camped in a dry flood plain so I went out exploring on my own. I discovered amazing cracked earth, bubbling mud pools, and I had my first experience with quicksand (or more like quick-mud). I felt like a pioneer... this place is so remote few have discovered it. I totally should have got the gps position but then it might get overrun and ruined. If you like pictures of local people, you need to check out a shot of a beautiful woman working in the silk fields in this post. I'm not usually into taking pictures of locals but this one turned out quite nicely.
https://thehotflashpacker.com/western-kyrgyzstan/