Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-29-2018, 04:22 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
Sounds like it's time to start a big family feud.
Survey says:

Spoiler:
X
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure your guests will just stop what they are doing to watch you load your dishwasher, and take note of your particular arrangements...
If they are insistent on helping clean up, then yes, they will probably notice that plates go on the plate rack on the bottom, utensils go in those little utensil containers, etc....

I was thinking about my MIL when I wrote that sentence, who actually was watching me the last time I was putting stuff in the dishwasher after a holiday meal. I think she wound up just handing me her plate and fork. They don't have a dishwasher (even after a 5-figure kitchen remodel several years ago, argh) so she acts like it's some sort of fancy technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
And put me in the "don't let the dishes dry with food on them" camp.
I'm in this camp as well, I think I've been in it so long I've lost sight of the fact that there are other camps.

Many years ago, a friend who was visiting me chastised me for excessive cleaning off of dishes before putting them into the dishwasher (which was ridiculous, I might rinse off a large blob of ketchup and certainly will scrape off anything that can go in the garbage, but I don't go out of my way to do the dishwasher's job).
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
so. much. this.
It's always some a-hole in a luxury car that obviously thinks their time is more important than mine. We all hate sitting in traffic, don't be a jerk about it.

On a side note, I recently saw someone get pulled over for this and it made my whole week. File that under the "Things that excite you more than they should" thread.
Yeah, me too, never correlated it with luxury cars but wouldn't surprise me. (Pickups are big offenders as well.) Funny thing is that some people may be complaining about me doing this since I prefer to do a zipper merge at the actual merging point rather than a few cars before, when most other drivers feel it's appropriate. Usually good for gaining a few spots in line, but since I'm still within the white lines I don't feel like I've committed a foul.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
I get way, way too annoyed when people fold the towels in half instead of into thirds, the way I want them. They look so much nicer with the edges folded in.
My wife is usually not anal about anything. But those darn bath towels have to be folded just the right way. She actually prefers that I not mess with them.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM
SOA

I'm also one who can't stand when things are left to dry and become much harder to clean later, if they're items I'm going to hand wash. Totally avoidable extra work.

But I'm also not somebody who ever fills up a sink with hot, soapy water. I'll just get the big stuff off and run it down the disposal. Then I use a brush to very quickly and efficiently clean the rest of the pan, and then run the water quickly to wash off the suds. Saw a nurse clean this way when we were in the hospital for the birth of our first child. I thought it was genius, and have done it that way ever since.

For the stuff that needs soaking, I fill just the bottom of such pots and pans with water to deal with the hard-to-remove stuff, and then quickly spray water to quickly clean the part that won't soak. Then I just put these pots and pans on the counter to rest. Yes, it leads to a pretty full counter of crap sometimes. But it's a lot less work.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
We have a butter dish on the counter. And every time my wife or son uses the last of a stick of butter, they donít replace it. So the next time I want to make toast, I get out a new stick. But itís refrigerated, so it is impossible to spread without tearing the bread.

And every time it happens, I lose my shit.
I've wondered: is that safe?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Many years ago, a friend who was visiting me chastised me for excessive cleaning off of dishes before putting them into the dishwasher (which was ridiculous, I might rinse off a large blob of ketchup and certainly will scrape off anything that can go in the garbage, but I don't go out of my way to do the dishwasher's job).
How excessive are you?

My dad always washed the dishes completely before putting them in the dishwasher. So, basically, the dishwasher became nothing but a sanitizer. But that can't be great environmentally. It was a TON of wasted water.

So now I knock all the big dry or hard stuff into the trash, then run big mushy stuff down the disposal. But I don't rinse anything before it goes in the dishwasher. I thought enzymatic cleaners need a certain amount of organic matter to best do their jobs, so it's a win-win to leave some food on the plates (easier on me, and allows the detergent to do its job better.)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
We have a butter dish on the counter. And every time my wife or son uses the last of a stick of butter, they donít replace it. So the next time I want to make toast, I get out a new stick. But itís refrigerated, so it is impossible to spread without tearing the bread.

And every time it happens, I lose my shit.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
You make actuary coin. Have the cleaning lady do it.
she's there only every other friday, so that won't work
Old 05-29-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
How excessive are you?

My dad always washed the dishes completely before putting them in the dishwasher. So, basically, the dishwasher became nothing but a sanitizer. But that can't be great environmentally. It was a TON of wasted water.

So now I knock all the big dry or hard stuff into the trash, then run big mushy stuff down the disposal. But I don't rinse anything before it goes in the dishwasher. I thought enzymatic cleaners need a certain amount of organic matter to best do their jobs, so it's a win-win to leave some food on the plates (easier on me, and allows the detergent to do its job better.)
I do pretty much the same thing you do. But apparently some people still consider that too much.