Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM
SOA

Default Spring 2019 Adv Study Group

5/2/2019 is 16 weeks away!

I just ordered the MATE flashcards and will start studying as soon as they arrive

Good luck to all!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM
SOA

Checking in.

so far the material doesn't seem too bad. Just the sheer volume is intimidating.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM
SOA

in
Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!!!!!

Checking in. I'm about halfway through TIA vids. I stalled out over the holidays. Time to get back to it.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM
SOA

I've been reading the MATE study guide, about 30% through. It's surprisingly condensed at ~200 pages. I really don't like that it doesn't have example problems to illustrate math concepts and it often refers to tables/graphs in the source material which I don't have. It also entirely skips "background only" readings. Most likely getting TIA to supplement.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM
SOA

i am in too, as i just found out that i passed the Core finally
need to order Mate material first
since my employer only reimburse one live seminar, i wonder i should go without it this spring sitting, and save if for future attempt in case i fail my 1st attempt this spring.
does anyone know if the Fall 2019 syllabus will stay the same as in Spring 2019 for Adv exam?
traditionally, the syllabus for Adv exam update in spring sitting, and Fall syllabus stays the same as spring.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
I've been reading the MATE study guide, about 30% through. It's surprisingly condensed at ~200 pages. I really don't like that it doesn't have example problems to illustrate math concepts and it often refers to tables/graphs in the source material which I don't have. It also entirely skips "background only" readings. Most likely getting TIA to supplement.
was also surprised at how short the manual was. definitely a supplement to source material, nor a replacement imo. I have most of the books so i follow along in the books during my first pass at material.

also, who chose the color of this semester's cover?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
only 200 pages? unbelievable! since GHCore manual always got about 370 pages.
does that mean the covered material under Adv syllabus is much less in this spring sitting than previous sitting?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUACT View Post
i am in too, as i just found out that i passed the Core finally
need to order Mate material first
since my employer only reimburse one live seminar, i wonder i should go without it this spring sitting, and save if for future attempt in case i fail my 1st attempt this spring.
does anyone know if the Fall 2019 syllabus will stay the same as in Spring 2019 for Adv exam?
traditionally, the syllabus for Adv exam update in spring sitting, and Fall syllabus stays the same as spring.
I believe the SOA is switching from Core/Advanced to Design&Pricing/Finance&Valuation this fall. So, I don't think its staying the same.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
I believe the SOA is switching from Core/Advanced to Design&Pricing/Finance&Valuation this fall. So, I don't think its staying the same.
That’s why we need to beat this exam then in Spring. I’m in.

Please propose 20 points worth of exam questions per week and what source material being used for it. Those of you who aren’t at that point, join the exam discussing piece when ready, no rush. The goal is to tackle more than 1/5 of an exam per week for as many weeks as we can, but 1/5 where we do the same questions in a suggested 1-hour sitting (equating 3 minutes per point).

This will make it easier for everyone to commit on this portion of studying, the rest being self-study. This 1 hour a week doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s a mandatory group minimum so it’s important we can keep to it.

Please ask your test vendors for fair use permission to up to 3 questions per week for this purpose.

The ones we want to use for discussion should be ones that require non-standard thinking and more time than a “list”-describe. But to make sure we aren’t ignoring lists we shoujd discuss all of what can be on exam.

Last edited by Latitude30; 01-11-2019 at 10:04 PM..