Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM
SOA

Is 14 weeks enough for this exam. I think I spent 5.5 months on core. I think it’s stupid that they don’t give us enough time between grade date and next exam.

What I did for core was grind flash cards for 4 months then spend the last 1.5 months watching TIA videos and practice problems.

I’ll probably grind 2 months of flash cards for advanced, maybe 2.5 while reading mate manual and watching tia videos, then spent the rest of the time diving deeper on certain topics and practice problems
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty
College: LSU - '14
Favorite beer: Well's Banana Bread

I track my hours pretty closely. Spent 100 hours going through source materials with MATE outline and Lists open, then did the 50 practice problems.

Looking at the Fall Exam, about half could've been answered from the Lists.

The credibility problem gave people issues but I think it's because it was a "describe" that was difficult to put into words without source material background. Only 1/10 points in that problem is not in the current Lists (Limits on Individual Claim Amounts).

I plan to total 350 hours + seminar (did more for Core but there's more materials).
Old 01-27-2019, 01:34 PM
SOA

the Mate comments for the Leida claims reserving section are cracking me up:

"This process is explained in more detail, and more correctly, in study note GHA 103-16

there are 3 or 4 notes of this nature for the leida reserving chapter.

also, I feel like I just read 4 separate source materials about the same topic (claims reserves). SOA president always says- "the first rule of redundancy club is the first rule of redundancy club, which of course is the first rule of redundancy club"

Last edited by DataDan; 01-27-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
How do you explain retaking an exam, same syllabus, allotting more hours and retaining and reworking the same older exam questions, only to get a score drop? Has this ever happened to any of you?
Because the syllabus is huge, too big for me at least to memorize everything. Part of passing is getting lucky on the exam questions you get. If they ask you about things you know about, then you're golden. If they ask you about obscure stuff you don't remember, then you're screwed.

I got a 5 last sitting, and I don't feel like there's any guarantee that I'll get at least a 5 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Because the syllabus is huge, too big for me at least to memorize everything. Part of passing is getting lucky on the exam questions you get. If they ask you about things you know about, then you're golden. If they ask you about obscure stuff you don't remember, then you're screwed.

I got a 5 last sitting, and I don't feel like there's any guarantee that I'll get at least a 5 again.
This was my exact thought on the Core exam.

I sat 2x. I felt I had about the same grasp on the material each time. got a 4 and a 7. second time I just got a streak of questions on the afternoon section that were my bread and butter. I could have easily gotten another 4 if they had 2 questions on different sections.

all you can do is hit the material hard, understand and memorize as much as you can, and then roll >10 on a 2d6.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

My friend who is studying for the GHADV exam told me there are 3,000 pages of source material readings. Is that true?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
My friend who is studying for the GHADV exam told me there are 3,000 pages of source material readings. Is that true?
I just use outlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
No. There's about 950 if you only read exactly what's assigned and nothing more.
FAC
Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by music 'n math View Post
No. There's about 950 if you only read exactly what's assigned and nothing more.
That is actually not terrible

For some reason I thought it was closer to 2000 pages, but I guess 950 makes more sense. No way MATE or any writer could effectively compress the readings by 90%

I still ain't gonna read the actual readings though
Old 01-31-2019, 03:32 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan
Favorite beer: Half Acre Daisy Cutter

I learned 2 weeks ago that I passed the Fall 2018 Core sitting. Thinking out loud here: because I have never attempted Advanced before, and because February-April is my busy season at work, I am going to sit this one out. I'll clear out the last PRF module I have to do in the mean time, and start studying over the summer for Fall 2019.

Even though they put a time limit on passing Advanced, you still have 4 sittings through Spring 2021 to get it done. I hate the idea that you could forfeit your Core credit, and it is a very sobering thought. However, I like the fact that in one sitting you can pass half of the exam (DP-A or FV-A), and need only to retake the other half in the future sittings. That'll be a nice change from the all-or-nothing approach to every other exam we've done.

Good luck everyone! Hopefully I don't see any of you in the Fall 2019 thread!