Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Default some ERM Exam Questions

Hi All,
I am taking the FSA Exams for the first time, and have few questions on the ERM Exam format. My apologies if these have been asked before - did a quick scan to make sure, but I may have missed.
So, my questions are:
1. It seems like the case summary is posted before the exam ? if this is true, any estimate of when it will be posted ? like 2 wks before or 10 days...?
2. Do we get a list of formulas for CDFs and Normal/Chi square numbers like the prelims ? there were some questions refering to GPD but no CDF given - if this is the only CDF, that's OK but wondering what the general case is.
3. Any idea what the pass mark is ? about 70% like the prelims ?

Many thanks in advance !
Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: No Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBunny View Post
Hi All,
I am taking the FSA Exams for the first time, and have few questions on the ERM Exam format. My apologies if these have been asked before - did a quick scan to make sure, but I may have missed.
So, my questions are:
1. It seems like the case summary is posted before the exam ? if this is true, any estimate of when it will be posted ? like 2 wks before or 10 days...?
2. Do we get a list of formulas for CDFs and Normal/Chi square numbers like the prelims ? there were some questions refering to GPD but no CDF given - if this is the only CDF, that's OK but wondering what the general case is.
3. Any idea what the pass mark is ? about 70% like the prelims ?

Many thanks in advance !
About the pass mark, no one knows what exactly it is. I left only 4 points of the 80 with blank but only passed with a score 7. Generally, there is no accurate answer for each questions, the key point during the exam is whether you can figure out the key words or key sentences for each questions as quick as you can. However the key words and key sentences is not only the thing that you have memorized from the material but more the things you have understood and summarized with your own words. Hope this may help you, I have been tortured by this exam for more than 18 months. Good luck to you!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Quality questions!

1) Yes, it will be posted before the exam. 'When' is hard to say exactly, but it will be closer to 2 months than 2 weeks. If I had to bet on it, I would say mid-August it will be available. They put it in the 'Updates' section on ERM's page on the SOA.

2) You can take a look at last sitting's Case Study, which has the tables and formulas that we'll be given. Most likely, it will be the same this sitting.
https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...case-study.pdf

3) This is a hard, hard question, to be honest, because...

--The SOA is very tight-lipped about how they set the passing score
--It's hard to figure out exactly how many points you earned

Points on the FSA exams aren't exactly like the points on preliminaries, so it's a tough, tough game to play.

That said, I think 50/80 is probably in the neighborhood of the passing score. From looking at many students' mock exams and studying the past exams, it seems like a passing exam does the following (on average):

-Answered about 50% of the points decently to very well/perfect
-Answered about 30% of the points with some merit, but not great
-Answered about 15% of the points with something, even if it was off mark
-Left about 5% of the points blank

Of course, take this with a grain of salt; the SOA is very opaque with their black box of grading. This is just my take on what makes a passing paper from talking with students (and trying to needle some information out of the SOA )

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2019

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM

Thank you both - this is very helpful !!!
I heard from many sources this is a marathon compared to the prelims...
Paul - thanks again and I will be posting as I go along... so hopefully will hear from you and others...
yy - congrats on passing - it must have been very relieving - after 18 months !!!